Pump output leaking...what the heck...

magicalyak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have installed a new pump and even valve, I have had to screw in the connections much tighter than I thought. The one that appears to leak is the one from the top of the pump to the valve. I have a PentAir WhisperFlo 1 1/2HP (up-rated) dual speed pump and DE filter. The pipes are 1 1/2 in and I convert at the pump from 2in to 1 1/2in. The places where I glue are fine, no leaks. The valve fittings are good, no leaks. Just the top of the filter.

My issue is I've replaced the fitting 4 times and every time I get a leak. I used a wrench the last time and basically see no thread now but still, a small leak. Should I just glue it in??? I'm sooo tempted but thought I'd post here first. I am wrapping with teflon tape, first it was once around now I have it wrapped about 5 times thick. Is there something else I can try? Should I glue around the top...it's driving me nuts...

I meant the neck of the pump but now I've gone back and reread your post and I'm confused :scratch:

You said
The one that appears to leak is the one from the top of the pump to the valve.
But then you said
Just the top of the filter.
When I wrote what I wrote, I was thinking the discharge neck of the pump.
Whichever it is, my recommendation is still sound.

Bama Rambler said:
I meant the neck of the pump but now I've gone back and reread your post and I'm confused :scratch:

You said
The one that appears to leak is the one from the top of the pump to the valve.
But then you said[quote:2s4cfzxx]Just the top of the filter.
When I wrote what I wrote, I was thinking the discharge neck of the pump.
Whichever it is, my recommendation is still sound.[/quote:2s4cfzxx]

I meant pump for both, Filter doesn't leak. Sorry about that...

magicalyak said:
Still leaks :( I must not have gotten the silicone set. Will try again but failing that it'll be glue time. I'll use a threaded nipple or compression union I guess.

I picked up an Oatey Fix It stick at Lowes. I'm going to give it a try. Sounds like it'll probably be just what I need especially if the leak is coming not from the thread but just to the side of it (or if it is the thread!).

Tom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Small cracks can be a pain to find and fix. Hopefully the Fix-It will help out. It still sounds like a crack to me.

Fix it didn't fix it. Here's my plan. remove the fix it which is gonna suck but hopefully it didn't bond to well and will slide off the top. I'm going to screw in the thread using RectorSeal 5 (instead of T plus 2) 5 will harden a bit so that should help. I plan to overtighten the threads to minimize the leaking or crack (which I can't see). Hopefully the crack should present itself and I can use primer and cement to fuse it (overtighten, cement and unscrew to compress). Otherwise I plan to use silicone caulk and let it fully cure this time. I can't beleive that it would hold in the water, it's not spurting just a very slow leak that pools and rolls off the side. I'm going to use a union on the output pipe so I can go back without repiping it again.

I'll post a picture if it's of any help but this is more a status update at this point.

magicalyak said:
Bama Rambler said:
Small cracks can be a pain to find and fix. Hopefully the Fix-It will help out. It still sounds like a crack to me.

Fix it didn't fix it. Here's my plan. remove the fix it which is gonna suck but hopefully it didn't bond to well and will slide off the top. I'm going to screw in the thread using RectorSeal 5 (instead of T plus 2) 5 will harden a bit so that should help. I plan to overtighten the threads to minimize the leaking or crack (which I can't see). Hopefully the crack should present itself and I can use primer and cement to fuse it (overtighten, cement and unscrew to compress). Otherwise I plan to use silicone caulk and let it fully cure this time. I can't beleive that it would hold in the water, it's not spurting just a very slow leak that pools and rolls off the side. I'm going to use a union on the output pipe so I can go back without repiping it again.

I'll post a picture if it's of any help but this is more a status update at this point.

Going to use Recorseal T plus 2 after reading another post about 5 softening the threads..the plumber in the post said apply Recotrseal Tplus2 thin, wrap tape, apply another coat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.