correct pump size

Jun 16, 2011
I'm new to pool ownership/maintenance. The local pool store sold me a 2.0 hp pump for my 15x30 ag oval pool ~ 13,000 gal with sand filter. I've been reading that this is probably too much pump force and doesn't allow the sand in the filter to actually filter the water. I have cloudy water, PH = 7.8, Alkalinity = 120, total chlorine and free chlorine low, hardness high. I shocked it and CL rose to .4 over night. They keep telling me i need more of this and that and not one thng has changed the cloudiness At ALL. I'm thinking of getting a smaller pump- any recommendations about the pump or the cloudiness.

My pump is 2hp as well. On high it certainly does flow!, but I've never noticed it not filtering properly. The majority of the time my pump stays on low.

Someone who has been BBBing longer would be much more help. I still have pool store stuff for pH and alkalinity.

What type of test kit do you have? A good test kit is the foundation of BBB.

I guarantee you the advice on here will take care of all your problems, welcome to the forum!

thank you for a reply. I just bought a chemical test kit with the drops but have't used it yet. I actually have very small stuff floating in the pool. I used Krystal clear - that was supposed to coagulate and make flocualte to vacuum up- but that didn't do anything. I can only see down the liner about 4 inches. My return jet is pointed down ~ 45degrees and out to the side a little. I "bled" the filter to make sure there is no air in it. The BBB thing is so foreign to me- I think once I can get the pool clear- and to make sure its not mechanical I will attempt to switch over. But right now I've just got a cloudy pool that I don't know how to fix. Is it possible i have the water level too high and the skimmer/pump isn't sucking anything down. The big stuff is collecting in the skimmer basket. its the small stuff still floating around. Help!

You probably need to point the return eyeball up and as far toward the side of the pool away from the skimmer as possible. Mine works best pointed to where it barely disturbs the surface of the water and as far to the side as I can get it.

Ok so I did a test - I attached a stocking to the jet return and within 40 minutes I have about 1 large table spoon of sand and particulate - now Im pretty sure my motor is too big- any suggestions before I buy a lower hp motor? Any other reason why this woudl be happening?

Too large a pump won't cause the sand to enter the pool. It can create tunnels through the sand and allow it not to filter well. Sand getting through the filter is a filter problem. It could be the multiport or more likely the lateral/standpipe assembly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.