High PSI on sand filter......

Apr 24, 2011
After a six hour hard rain last night, these are my readings.
FC 3
PH 7.5
TA 90
CH 120
CYA 40
BR 40

My sand filter (without DE, sand only) PSI has been 17 PSI clean and 18PSI dirty this entire year. Early on I had one day of 13 PSI. I acid cleaned the sand today and the pressure is still 18 PSI. The return water will almost float you away and blasts powerfully agaist my hand. The water stays crystal clear except today because of the storm. I should have it brushed and cleaned up later today.

Waht do you think about the PSI?

My filter has been in operation for six years. I replacement the sand at the end of season 4 and converted from Baqucile to chlorine. Four the last 4 years the lowest reading has been 15 PSI, 18 PSI dirty. Now it will not go below 18 PSI after an acid wash.

I talked to my pool supply and they said that I had the proper amount of sand, 150#'s to allow good circulation and they know that I have replaced my gauge once. They said to ignore the gauge and go by return pressure. I always feel the return flow anyway. Maybe I need a new gauge. The system seems to be working great as far as cleaning and function goes....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure why you would acid wash a sand filter, other than just backwashing it, it may be possible the acid damaged the guage :scratch:

That said if your clean pressure is 15psi, 18 is not dirty, 22-25psi would be consider dirty. Every filter/pump combo is different...mine happens to run at 18psi clean.

DA INFERNO said:
Home Warranty just replaced my DE filter with a Sand Filter and it runs 18psi clean. The installer said that this is normal.

18 psi may be absolutely normal for one pool and equipment setup, but abnormally high for another. You can't compare a pressure reading for one pool with another.

jsw5620 -- It means that the gauge is broken. Or at very least that the zero is off and it shouldn't be trusted.

Ptblues2 -- I was asking about the eyeball fittings in the pool. If you have a small one it'll cause your pressure to be higher than if you have a large one.

The eyeball is 3/4 inch. I have two the same size. Yesterday my return line popped loose and drained 5 inches of water from the pool. I am guessing the the pressure had something to do with it popping off. Anyway, I am balancing the chemicals again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.