Found a kitten in my skimmer

May 5, 2009
NC
Yesterday morning when I went out for a water sample, I knew the pump didn't sound right as soon as I opened the door. I've heard that sound before when the water level got too low overnight. But I knew it wasn't that because I had just topped it off before I went to bed. So I walked around to the back of the pool to see what was going on and there was water coming out of the skimmer. I put my finger in the whole of the lid to take if off when something hits my hand and starts making this horrific noise. So I immediately shut the pump off, should have done that first anyway, and run to the back door and start screaming for my husband because I have no idea what's in there and I'm too scared to look! When I was coming back towards the pool I see a little head, now sticking out inside the pool and I think it's a cat. He took the lid off and sure enough, only it's a little kitten! He put it on the ground and it was shaking violently and couldn't walk, could only pull itself a little bit. It was crying this horrible sound.....broke my heart. I went in and got a towel to try and wrap it up, it was pretty chilly outside and I wanted to get it dried off. Everytime I touched it, it screamed in pain so I didn't know what to do. I was pretty sure it would die and I didn't want it to have to suffer. I ended up going in the house and finding a cardboard box, warming some towels in the dryer and putting them in the box with a heating pad and some hot water bottles and brought the kitty in. It looked lifeless and you could barely see it breathe. I warmed it for a couple hours and called the vet. By the time I got it there it started to move about a bit.They checked it's temp and it was up to 89. So I stayed there for about 3 hours while they continued to warm it. They said it was a little girl and she only weighs 1 pound. She has no tail, not even a stub. She got a steroid shot and a shot of antibiotics, plus I have to give her meds twice a day for a week to help prevent pneumonia. They let us go once her temp came up to 99, said they would have hated to see what it was before I started warming her. Not sure about brain damage or poisoning from the high level of CL and I had just added CYA in a stocking in the skimmer the night before (was all gone in the morning).....said it would be a wait and see. I'm feeding her replacement milk with a syringe since she doesn't know how to drink from a bowl. Poor little baby, she is so sweet. Looks like she just found herself a home!

Still not 100% on a name, the girls were thinking Lily. Skimmy is cute! :)

She must have gotten in from the deck because I saw tiny kitty foot prints across the top. Our steps aren't in right now since I'm still in the process of clearing up the pool, so there was no way out. :( I'm hoping we don't have any tears in the liner from her trying to get out. If she fell in from the deck side it means she had to go all the way across to get to the skimmer. It's also possible she walked around the top rails and fell in. However it was, I'm so glad I went out there when I did. I almost didn't go out. I have been cleaning this pool for 20 days now and would really enjoy sleeping in until at least 8 one morning. I woke up and said to myself I was going to sleep just a bit longer, but something kept telling me go check the pool NOW. Guess I know why!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4cb6e09d-b3e6-3207.jpg
4cb6e09d-b418-3d02.jpg
A couple summers ago I went out back to put trash in our garbage can and kept hearing a faint cry - looked and looked for it - finally crawled up on fence and saw a tiny kitten between my neighbors fence and her garden shed - her back yard was locked and she was gone. It was super hot that morning but even if I scaled the fence I couldn't reach it because of the tight space between the fence and shed. Finally used pool scoop and he crawled in the net - we figure momma cat was moving them and he got left behind. He wasn't very old and vet wasn't sure he would live - same thing fed him with dropper and used heating pad - now he's a spoiled rotten cat!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308275350.554946.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308275350.554946.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 344

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.