losing water

Jun 16, 2011
This is only my second season having a pool. I live in Georgia (USA) and have a question about pool water loss. Is it typical having to fill the pool after swimming in it (kids jumping around - in and out - on the diving board) plus 95+ degree heat. Seems I lose about 1-2" water every 4-7 days. It rained last night for the first time in almost 2 months and yesterday I had 6 kids (3 BIG ones) swimming and even with the rain I was down about 1/2-1".

Thank you!

If it is hot and not humid you can lose 1/4" a day, add splash out and 1-2" in a week is plausible. If it is very humid there, than not so plausible, but not out of the question depending on the kids :) With lots of kids playing and splashing it will be difficult to be sure either way.

I appreciate that - I just seem to be putting water in my pool every few days and it seems like a lot - but when I actually measured today it was only about 1/2 inch. Maybe I'm worried too much :) When should I be concerned - how much water loss?

Is it possible to be losing water through the automatic cleaner? I'm a bit concerned - we had a TON of rain here in GA last night - I left my pump and cleaner running for about 12 hours and I woke up to about a 1" loss of water. I put the hose in the pool to fill the water loss - turned on the pump with just the "bottom" pool drains on and the cleaner - 3 hours later it looks like I have more water loss rather than more water in the pool! UUGGH - how can I find out for sure? I JUST moved into this house last year - we have a 1 yr warranty that expires tomorrow - and I'm wondering if this may be covered - and how do you go about detecting leaks if there are any?

Take a bucket and fill it 2/3rds with pool water. Sit it on a step in the pool and mark or measure the water level in the bucket very carefully. Then mark or measure the level in the pool very carefully. Check the levels tomorrow and see if they both lost the same amount. If the pool lost more than the bucket you have a leak. Once you figure that out we can narrow down where it is.

If your warranty expires tomorrow, I'd call them today and tell them you have a leak. That way at least you've notified them during the warranty period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.