Leaking Pump Housing / Anode Question

Jun 2, 2011
Hey guys,

I was at my in-laws house yesterday and noticed that his pump housing has a small hole in it (looks like a pin-hole) allowing a small amount of water out.

I was wondering how I would go about changing the pump housing. I'm assuming I have to cut the pvc piping to do so, but the pipe on the suction side is very short between the valve and pump. What would you guys recommend me do?

Also, he was told he needed to put an anode in his system to help prevent corrosion in his heater (his thermostats keep going bad and having to be replaced). Would I be correct to assume that this would need to be installed in the pipe just before the inlet of the heater? Would it be ok to install it in a horizontal position? and is there any type / place to buy that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Mike
IMG_20110615_192051.jpg

IMG_20110615_192017.jpg

IMG_20110615_192102.jpg

Unless your climate is very dry the best place to put an anode is buried in the ground in moist dirt. If that isn't an option, then anywhere in the plumbing that is easy to get at is fine. Actually needing an anode is very unusual, and only commonly happens when there is something aluminum touching the water all the time.

To replace the pump body, you need to find somewhere to cut the pipe where you have enough room to glue on a new fitting. That might mean going further along the pipe and replacing the valve. Depending on the valve, you might be able to put a larger pipe on over, or a smaller pipe inside, the existing pipe. If you post a picture we can give you more specific advice.

As far as the pump repair I'd cut the pipe on the suction of the pump right against the threaded adapter. That way you can get a coupling on it. I'd also take this opportunity to move the pump. Maybe turn it 90º clockwise and replumb it with unions.

Bama Rambler said:
As far as the pump repair I'd cut the pipe on the suction of the pump right against the threaded adapter. That way you can get a coupling on it. I'd also take this opportunity to move the pump. Maybe turn it 90º clockwise and replumb it with unions.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but what would be the advantage of turning the pump 90°?

oh ok, I get it...turn it just to give more clearance between the pump and house.

As far as the anode is concerned, would the placement shown in the 3rd picture work? or should it be mounted somewhere else?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.