Convert gray Jandy valve to Neverlube?

Oct 11, 2007
I was looking at a parts list for the Jandy Neverlube valves and noticed that the part number for the housing was the same as for the gray valves (non-Neverlube). Is it possible to convert a non-Neverlube gray Jandy valve into a Neverlube by just swapping out the guts of the valve with those from a Neverlube valve? Given that the price of the parts is more than the valve, it seems I could just buy the complete valve ($50 each approx), and then swap the guts with my old gray valves and convert them all to Neverlubes. Is this a good idea? My existing valves aren't giving me any trouble but they are very old (15+ years).

Also, what do I need to paint the bare plastic with to protect it from UV? I saw the plumber spray some adhesion promoter first, followed by what looked to be plain old spray enamel paint from the auto parts store. He said what he was using met pool code though, so I believe whatever he used was ok.

If you have the old valves with the grease cup it is better and only a few bucks cheaper to buy the diverter kit as it comes with the red plug to eliminate the grease cup which is a good source of air intake. As you already made your purchase, you might want to be aware of this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.