New pool not new to pools need some input please

Jun 15, 2011
Clinton, MO
I had a 18' intex metal frame using the intex SWG and ran the generator 3 hours a day maintain a beautiful sparkling pool but now I have a new 33' and I am thinking the intex SWG will be overwhelmed ideas please. I cant justify the god awful prices they want for the other generators 600-1200 bucks. Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

None of the other manufacturers seem to be able to get anywhere close to the pricing Intex offers. The mid-sized or larger CompuPool will work, but as you say that is over $600, and everything else is more than that.

If you have one of the older Intex units, without copper, there is some chance that it might keep up on all but the hottest days assuming the chemistry is well balanced. If you have one of the newer Intex units with copper there is no way it will be able to keep up.

What do you mean without copper? all mine has are titanium plates I was thinking of getting one of the chlorease ultras to supplement chlorine production. I know the intex unit only had to run 3 hours a day to keep 3 ppm in the pool on the 18 foot so I got my fingers crossed

The older Intex units produced before last year - the output was stronger and they could produce enough FC to work in the larger pool. The newer units don't produce as much and they are combined with a copper ionization system in them. Most of the units produced/sold since last year are the new version. Very hard to find the older one. If you already have one that is older than 2010 its probably the original version but not sure how long it will last you? I'd go ahead and install it and give it a go, but I would make sure you have a proper test kit that we recommend (if you don't already) and maintain your water balance accordingly:
Water Balance for SWCGs

Ok thanks I have one of the older units and will look around for another one I cleaned it real good at the end of the season last year and it looked like new so I will keep my fingers crossed. I don't want the copper ionizer the more I read about it. Copper is a poison to all living creatures and I really dont want to swim in it.

Running two is certainly an option, but you should plumb them in parrallel, not in series. Try the one 1st, I'm guessing it will make enough chlorine if you are willing to run it 8-12hrs/day with CYA at around 70ppm. Shoot for an FC target of 5+ with CYA at 70. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.