Is my Chlorine too high??

Jun 13, 2011
NC
I am hoping someone can help. My pool turned green a few days ago and Duraleigh assisted me on how to shock my pool. I did that and within about 24 hours my pool turned from green to blue just as he said! :party: Anyway, I just tested my water and I think my CYA is kicking in because my chlorine levels didn't go down today for the first time. However, I did add an extra large bottle of bleach to my pool this morning since my TC was at 5 and my ph was at 7.2. :oops: I tested my CYA about 30 minutes ago and it is at 27 and my FC is 20 and I have no CCs, so my TC is 20. :shock: This leads me to believe my Chlorine levels are way too high and not sure how to bring them down unless I add more water (which I do have room to do), but I do not want to make things worse.. I have not added Borax to my pool as of yet. Please advise...

Thanks in advance for your time!!
Tammy

Edited to add:
FC - 20
TC - 20
pH -7.2
TA - Did not test
CH - Did not test
CYA -27

No, your FC is just fine. Leave it in there and it will come down on it's own.

What CYA target are you shooting for?

What does your water look like?

Your pH is fine where it is....don't add any borax.

Add more water if you'd like it deeper but there is no chemical reason to do that.

Ditto what Dave said. A little bit of sun today and your FC will come down. If you've passed the OCLT just let the FC come down on it's on. It's safe to swim at shock level fro ou CYA once you've passed the OCLT.

The water is blue, but you can barely see through it.

Last night's FC: 20
Today's FC: 16 (there was some sun shining on the pool when this was done)

What should the ph target be at this point? It is holding right at 7.2.

Thanks again...

cj7girl said:
Last night's FC: 20
Today's FC: 16 (there was some sun shining on the pool when this was done)

What should the ph target be at this point? It is holding right at 7.2.
With the sun that HAD BEEN in NC the chlorine will burn off fast, especially with a CYA of 27.

What CYA level were you shooting for ?

It'll be difficult to do correct pH testing if the FC stays at 20... which it won't according to the weather forecasts!

What part of NC are you in?

Terry in NC (outside of Kernersville)

Continue to shock. Bring the FC back up to 20ppm this afternoon anytime. Then bring it back up to 20ppm tomorrow AM, too. Run the pump 24/7. keep the filter clean.

Disregard the pH until the shock process is complete. That will be when.....
1. Your water is crystal clear.
2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test (OCLT)
3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

You have a ways to go.

I shocked my pool back to 20 last night and this morning it was still at 20. The pool is clear and I can see the bottom, but it's still a little cloudy. Does this mean I can quit shocking now? If so, what do I do now? If not, then what do I need to do?

Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cj7girl said:
I shocked my pool back to 20 last night and this morning it was still at 20. The pool is clear and I can see the bottom, but it's still a little cloudy. Does this mean I can quit shocking now? If so, what do I do now? If not, then what do I need to do?

Thanks!!
You are done shocking when you meet three criteria. See the red line in my sig :)

Thanks so much for the quick response!!

Now, that I am done with shocking I am ready to level out my numbers, correct?
I was reading some threads on SWGs and I am guessing the numbers below are going to be my goals from this point on, right?

FC: 3-5ppm
PH- 7.5-7.8
TA- 60-80
CH- 50-300 vinyl
CYA- 70-80
Borates- 30-50 ppm (Where can I purchase borate test strips?)

Okay, we added more bleach last night after the sun wasn't shining on the pool and here are the tests we did:

Before we shocked
TC: 15.5
CC: 0

An hour later this is what we got:
TC: 16.5

Midnight:
TC: 15

This morning:
TC: 16

So, what do you think? Can the numbers actually go up?? I can see the bottom of the pool and it isn't as cloudy as it was. Do we need to shock it again?

Thanks!

Can the numbers actually go up??
No, but that's just a small testing error, dont worry. (your actually testing FC and not TC but it's not relevant to your questions.

#1 - How does your water look this afternoon?

#2 - Did you pass all three of these guidelines?
1. Your water is crystal clear.
2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test
3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.