Chlorine brands

Jun 12, 2011
Madbury, NH
Hi everyone,
I am very new to chlorine pools. I am converting from Baquacil to chlorine and my question is. Is the HTH brand Walmart carrys any good or should I go with ProTeam or Sustain brand. I have a 24' round with a Jacuzzi Laser 160 sand filter.
I am so lost about brands of chemicals for the pool.

Welcome to TFP. They are all the same, but you may want to avoid all and stick with liquid chlorine/bleach or a Saltwater Chlorine Generator.

Take a read through pool school (button on upper right of this page), especially the article on baq to chlorine conversion :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Proteam "Shock" is just another chlorine source and has the draw back of either adding to much CH or CYA to your water, especially with the amount of chlorine needed for a conversion.

"Shock" is a marketing slogan for granulated chlorine.
pool-school/types_chlorine_pool
pool-school/shocking_your_pool
pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion
I'd start the BBB process now, during the conversion!

Just to echo what's already been said, plain 6% bleach is your best weapon in the conversion! It's available in the 184 ounce jugs at Wal-Mart (Good Value brand) for $2.54 and it works!
It's contents are, for all intents and purposes: 6% sodium hypochlorite (chlorine) and 94% salt-water: nothing that's bad!

The ProTeam "Quick Shock" is dichlor, which adds CYA as well as chlorine.
You don't want CYA in the water during the conversion. After the conversion, yes,
but not during the conversion.
The ProTeam "Power Magic" is cal-hypo, which adds calcium as well as chlorine.
The calcium doesn't do anything for you...
The ProTeam "Shock & Swim" is a non-chlorine version.
Not what you want at all!
The ProTeam "Lithium Shock" will do the job, but is much more expensive than bleach, especially for the quantity of hypochlorite (chlorine) that you will be using!
This is care of Chem-Geek...
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.
We had a neighbor that did the conversion and went through 58 jugs of Wal-Mart bleach. They said that was the best investment in pool chemicals that they had ever made in their pool! :cool:

Terry in NC.

I just left the pool store for a test. The results are Chlorine and Baquacil levels are both 0, and they said the rest of the levels are fine but would not tell me the numbers. For the first time in 2 years I can see the bottom of the pool. :-D My plan is and please tell me if I am wrong. I am going to put 182 oz jug of bleach in, which according to the pool calculator will get me to a FC level of 6.5 and retest tomorrow and see what my levels are. I will be braking open the new Taylor K-2006 kit that came in the mail today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.