LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Question, with BBB, is adding bleach a daily ritual? I am trying to understand how much I would need if I were in a maintain mode of say 4.0 with a 40 cya on a 10K gallon pool? My concern is my work schedule where I may miss 1 possibly 2 days of adding. Also when adding can folks swim. Got kids that like to swim at night. Lastly can non chlorine shock be used or is that taboo. Chlorinator has me spoiled but now I am convinced my 3 algae fights last season were due to chlorine around 3 and CYA around 100 where pucks and acid took me to.
Also when shocking to shock level how long does it take to dissipate, right now the dichlor is out in about a day, but will bleach go if CYA is lower? I think yes, but not sure
My Fears if I screw up

Shrinking liner
Bleaching Bathing suits (already took neighbors spray tan and highlights out with a 4.5 level)
effect on pool equipment.

TF100 kit in the mail, other going back after reading all reviews/recomendations.

Adding bleach will PROBABLY be a daily ritual. There are ways around it, the Liquidator, salt water pool, or chlorine injection systems.

I would not recommend a non-chlorine shock.

You still keep CYA around 40 with bleach, so no change there. Bleach won't add more CYA like the dichlor will.

Yes bleach is a daily ritual. If u use a solar cover you can dose a little higher and cover and it should be ok when u r gone. Add the bleach after evryone is done swimming. Leave the pump running for at least an hour.
Thereis no effect on pool equipment. Once in your water, all forms of chlorine do the same thing. I highly doubt that level had anything to do with highlights or spray tan unless they were done that day.
Non chlorine shock is an expensive and unneccessary product.

I am not sure if this will help you with your pool, but for my pool with a Cya of 50, I add almost a 184 oz jug every 2 days. My fc goes up to 8ppm and is usually at 4ppm when I add bleach again. Pool is in full sun, very light bather load....As far as shocking, with a high quality test kit, you are able to know what's going on with your water at any time and in combination with the pool calculator. :goodjob: You can make any necessary adjustments to avoid having to routinely shock your pool! :cheers:

Daily or every other day to add bleach.

If you keep the FC level up, you may never need to shock.

Dichlor is good to have around if you need to replenish CYA due to splashout. I wouldn't use it as my normal source of chlorine. You've seen what high CYA can do, so no need for me to go into gory detail.

I add almost a 184 oz jug every 2 days. My fc goes up to 8ppm and is usually at 4ppm when I add bleach again

Rob N, does the 8 ppm bother swimmers? How high can you go before it is dangerous or takes on whitening characteristics on suits and such?

Is there no one else at your house that can add bleach, it is not exactly rocket science. After a bit of time you can estimate your seasonal daily rate and only test a couple of times per week.

I add bleach twice a week...CYA is 60, I bring the level up to 10-12ppm, and it drops to 5/6ppm by the next "pool cleaning day" (add bleach, run pool cleaner, hose off cartridge filter, add water) It's been working for a few months now, and my 5 kids swim at LEAST once a day. I check after a hard rain too though so sometimes I add a little extra in between pool days.

I've not had problems with suits getting wrecked any faster than normal.....my kids don't rinse them either. Each kid goes thru 2-3 suits a season (March-Nov here in FL.) I don't think that is too bad for as much as they swim (and wrestle in the pool and yank on each others suits, LOL)

rjg202 said:
I add almost a 184 oz jug every 2 days. My fc goes up to 8ppm and is usually at 4ppm when I add bleach again

Rob N, does the 8 ppm bother swimmers? How high can you go before it is dangerous or takes on whitening characteristics on suits and such?
No problems whatsoever, no chlorine smell, no eye burning and no bleached out swim suits. The water feels great and looks crystal clear and sparkly!!!! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ROB N said:
rjg202 said:

No problems whatsoever, no chlorine smell, no eye burning and no bleached out swim suits. The water feels great and looks crystal clear and sparkly!!!! :party:

Me too, I keep my FC at 8 since my cya is 70ish, we have had no issues and the pool is sparkling. :party:

Good advice above from some people that have a very good grasp of what BBB is all about. I chlorinate every 2 days by adding about 4-5ppm to my pool.....keeps it in a 4-8 range with a CYA of 50ppm

Thanks, much more comfortable. Only issue is local walmart is clean out of bleach and borax, hmm wonder why, they were even out of the 12 lb bags of baking soda. My TF100 will be in tomorrow, thanks again. I have been doing massive amounts of reading on this site and got a lot of insight from a good community.

rjg202 said:
Thanks, much more comfortable. Only issue is local walmart is clean out of bleach and borax, hmm wonder why, they were even out of the 12 lb bags of baking soda. My TF100 will be in tomorrow, thanks again. I have been doing massive amounts of reading on this site and got a lot of insight from a good community.

My Wal-mart has been out-of-stock on the large GV bleach my last two visits. Fortunately, the FLPS across the street has 12% LC @ $9/2.5gal carboy. $4 deposit on the carboy is refundable. Cost is almost identical and less lugging, no bottles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.