CYA dropping - add stabilizer w/ pucks?

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
This is a new gunite pool. I don't have my test kit yet, but it should be here any day now.

On Saturday the pool store tested my water and said it was:
Chlorine - 5.0
ph 7.9 (they had my add one pint of muratic)
hardness 350
alkalinity 80
cya 55

Today they tested it and said:
Total Clorine .7
Free Clorine 0
ph 7.3
harness 344
alkalinity 58
cya 28

Over the weekend we had lots of swimmers and I added some water because of splashout, but not lots. Should I add stabilizer to the water? I'm using pucks for chlorine. The pool store recommended I add 4 lbs of stabilizer now.

My chlorine at 0 is obviously a concern. I'm going to shock with bleach. But why would it be at 0 with the automatic chlorinater and pucks?

The pool store is notorious for giving bad CYA numbers. I wouldn't add any right now unless you are using a salt water chlorine generator. You need to add some liquid chlorine (clorox) immediately, and a good test kit would be extremely beneficial to you.

By the way, the temps and sun we are having right now is burning off chlorine FAST.

texasdad said:
But why would it be at 0 with the automatic chlorinater and pucks?

Because you are losing your FC faster than the slowly dissolving tablets are giving you. You need to shock and use bleach to accomplish this. Bleach is immediately available all at once and that makes it good for this purpose.

If you haven't already, please order a decent test kit from www.tftestkits.net. You pool depends on your ability to do your own testing and for it to be suitably accurate.

The Fed-Ex driver dropped off the Taylor k-2006 today.

Results I got are:
FC 3.0
PH 7.6
TA 130
CYA 50

I'll redo all of the tests later today to double check, this is my first time for a few of the tests and I wasn't certain on the CYA...... How often do you check the CYA; the test kit only has enough for 3 tests?

texasdad said:
... Taylor k-2006 today.
Results I got are:
FC 3.0
PH 7.6
TA 130
CYA 50
I'll redo all of the tests later today to double check, this is my first time for a few of the tests and I wasn't certain on the CYA...... How often do you check the CYA; the test kit only has enough for 3 tests?
It can take up to a week to register any increases in CYA so the weekly check makes sense.

Keep the CYA/Chlorine chart handy (as in your kit) http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock. It'll show you the minimum chlorine levels and the shock levels for the various CYA levels... and, it's in Pool School !

With a CYA of 50 your FC should be between 4 and 6. I tend to run slightly higher chlorine levels as there are always 4-6 sweaty teens playing water-polo in the pool and we never have the "chlorine smell" !

Terry in NC :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.