UK Bleach

jay87

May 14, 2011
Gloucester, UK
I have been thinking of switching to bbb for a while, and found the perfect opportunity upon returning to a green hot tub after a week away! Most bleach I have found in UK supermarkets have perfumes amd additives, but Morrisons Own brand bleach has been good in my experience. its £1.29 for 2 litres and states only disinfectant on the ingredients. It added well to my tub and raised the fc level nicely

That's good to know. It seems that I have always heard that it is near impossible to find bleach over there due to it being regulated as a hazardous material.

Hi Jay87,
Get yourself to Tescos.
Tesco Value Bleach: 2ltrs for 27pence! It's gone up about 4p in 8 years!

OK, it states that it is less than 5%, but I used it for years in a 12' intex pool, just adjust the settings in the Pool Calculator and away you go.

HTH.

You wont find consumer bleach stronger than 5% in the UK as bleach with more than 5% falls under the CHIP (Chemical Hazard Information and Packaging) regulations and would need to have all the safety information on the label. That label would be bigger than most 2L bottles! Quite funny really to see all the premium "strong" bleaches in the supermarket. They all have <5% bleach. That Tesco Blue Label bleach looks good value at 27p though I would need gallons of the stuff to see me through a season. I'll stick to the 12% carbouys that I am getting for £18, delivered.

jay87 said:
That tesco value bleach sounds great value! I wonder what percenage it is for that price, around 2 maybe?

Hi Jay,
I use the Pool Calculator set at 5% and the amounts suggested by that seem to be bang on every time.
So it can't be far off 5%. Certainly nowhere near 2%.

I add 85mls per 1000gallons for each ppm I want to raise and I've been using the same stuff since 2002, with no problems whatsoever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.