7 Way Valve Replacement

Dega500

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Hi all,

I replaced my Waterway 7 way valve (WVS003) a little over a week ago. I started out looking to order a spider gasket (Approx. $22) that was leaking some to waste in filter mode and there was slight visible damage. Then I read recommendations to go ahead and replace the whole diverter with the spider gasket already installed (approx. $35) so i looked into ordering one of those. In my research I found that a complete new valve head was only $20 more and since there was some slight cracking around the gauge hole I decided to go ahead and replace the whole thing.

When I went to remove the valve head the vertical pipe on the lateral assembly stuck in the head the whole thing raised up about 4" from the bottom of the filter before I realized it. I couldn't beleive how easy it was to raise that thing with all that sand on it. Anyway, I ended up laying the filter (26" Diameter) over on it's side in order to reach in and dig the sand out from underneith the lateral assembly to allow it to return back to the bottom of the filter. It took a few tries to get it right so that the pipe was centered, square and all the way down. (whew, it was heavy with the wet sand).

Upon restarting the pump I had a senior moment and left the valve on filter mode and it proceded to blow sand and stuff from the filter into the pool for a second or two. I corrected the situation, backwashed and rinsed until the water was clear again and resumed normal filtering. Leak free by the way!

I waited a day to allow the dirt to settle and then vacuumed to remove it. A couple of days later I noticed more dirt had settled in some low spots on the bottom of the pool. I vacuumed this out Friday evening. Upon return from a Scout trip on Sunday afternoon there was more dirt on the bottom. Now this isn't course sand I'm finding. It's a darker brown and so very fine that you can't even feel it between your fingers. So far I have not found any evidence of course sand in the pool. My biggest fear is that I may have damaged the laterals.

We are having an extremely hot/ dry summer hear in Bama. My wife things some gusty afternoon winds and my 13 year old and his friends are blowing and or tracking all the dirt in the pool but there was noone in the pool after I vacuumed Friday evening until Sunday afternoon.

To further my situation I returned home from work yesterday to find the pool had clouded up a good bit during the day yesterday. My SWCG has been maintaining my chlorine in the 2.5 to 3 range as usual.

As of yesterday evening:

FC 2.5
CC .5
TC 3
TA 90
PH 7.5
CYA 50 (a little low I know)

If I was getting sand in my pool from the filter would'nt it be course like the sand inside the filter?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post!

Dega

The sand in the filter is supposed to have extremely small grains. Using coarse sand, like play sand, won't filter correctly.

The laterals are very delicate. It is possible that you cracked one of the laterals when repositioning everything. If so, that would allow sand to get into the pool.

Thanks JL,

The sand is pool filter sand at least that's what the bag said it was. Who knows what the pool store sold for sure. I just bought it last May and put it in when I installed the pool. What I'm finding in the pool is a darker brown in color and powder fine. Like I said, you can't even feel between your fingers.

Does filter sand actually break down into a finer material over time?

There is hardly any breakdown of the grains of sand in the filter. What you are describing sounds more like pollen. Just about any kind of sand has a gritty texture even if you can't see the individual grains.

I was pretty sure that if it was sand it would have a gritty texture to it. I'm going to give it a few more days and vacuum a couple more times and see if it clears up.

Pollen? Hmmm. I wonder if it turns brown over time. The pool was filled with it early on due to my Winter cover splitting. It could just be dirt that was trapped deep in the filter that got all stirred up when I had to move the sand around to relocate the laterals.

Thanks again for replying Jason

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.