Test level help?

Jun 11, 2011
I have been trying to clear up a milky looking pool for days now. I have been using the HTH 6 way test kit.My pool wont keep a chlorine level.
I went a bought the HTH test kit and getting a level of TA at 260.I was adding the stuff I was told to add to bring the level down.It was not working I was just getting a higher level every time I tested.So I decited to take a sample of water to the pool store and their test shows my TA level to be low not high like the HTH test.Here is the pool store test results

FC 0.8
TC 0.8
CC 0.0
PH 7.0
TH 210
TA 80
CYA 35

The store told me my TA was low and to add Balance Pak 100 so I added it as they said to.They also said My pool needed chlorine so I have been adding bleach everyday.The bleach goes very low a few hours after I put it.

Well I just tested again with my HTH test and now it shows my TA level 400. Count drops a multiply by 10. So my qiestion is what test should I go by the HTH or the pool store?

I rigged my water input on the pool like a waterfall and that has brought my PH level up to 7.5.

You really need a better kit. But I'd say trust your results.

You no doubt need to shock but it's going to be hard to do without good test numbers.

Go ahead and post a set using your kit to test.

Also, tell us more about your pool and equipment. Type, size, pump, filter, etc.

You need to add some bleach pretty soon. Enough to get you to about 6 ppm. You'll want to keep the FC between 4 and 6 all the time.

Turning blue immediately means that you don't have any hardness. I'm in the same boat, and that's fine in a vinyl pool.

Every time your pH gets to 7.6 or so lower it back to 7.2 with acid. Over time your TA will come down.

Bama Rambler said:
You need to add some bleach pretty soon. Enough to get you to about 6 ppm. You'll want to keep the FC between 4 and 6 all the time.

Turning blue immediately means that you don't have any hardness. I'm in the same boat, and that's fine in a vinyl pool.

Every time your pH gets to 7.6 or so lower it back to 7.2 with acid. Over time your TA will come down.

Thank you.I just added 1 gallon 1/2 of bleach. So don't add anything for the TA? I just can't get the cloudiness out.I cant even see the bottom.I left the pump off all night and it is still the same.

The pump and filter are there to filter out the particles that are making your pool cloudy. Run your pump 24/7 until your pool is clear.

Disregard your TA and you hardness

It is lack of chlorine and filtering that is causing your cloudiness. I would shock that pool immediately by following the procedure described up in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.