Finally got test kit in (TF100), here are the results.....

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
PH-6.8
TA-30
CH-50
CYA-60
FC-2.5
66-0
SALT-3390

Also, first test I did was the little blue box that gave me the pH. The yellow side was CL-2, BR-4.

Pool finished filling this past Sunday, salt and stabilizer was added Monday around noon.

Re: Finally got test kit in (TF100), here are the results...

Your pH and TA are too low. You should add some baking soda (I get about 16 lbs) and retest and adjust your pH from there.

I'd go ahead and bump that CYA up to about 70 too.

That 66 number is good! :mrgreen:

:lol: I dunno how that 66 got in there. The little cheat sheet that came with my SWCG has the follow levels for goals.

FC=1.0-3.0
pH=7.4-7.6
TA=80-120
CH=200-400
CYA=80-100

Do those numbers seem ok or are there recommended levels here that are better? I am trying to get my targets setup in the pool calculator, but I am missing some info like a target BR. Also, 20lbs of stabilizer was added Monday. Should I add more now or wait a few more days to see if it goes up?

If you set your pool up in the Pool Calc it'll give you the range of levels recommended here. There's also an article on the chem levels for swg's. You should read that too.
This is the levels recommended here. I tend to aim for the middle but others aim for the top end to ensure it never gets below the bottom.
pH = 7.2 to 7.8
FC = 4 to 11
CC = 0
TA = 60 to 80
CH = 50 to 300 (Not relevent for vinyl pools)
CYA = 70 to 80

Just to make sure I am doing this right, I entered my info into the PC

FC=2.5 target of 8 so add 319oz of 6% bleach
pH=6.8 target of 7.5 so add 131oz of borax
TA=30 target of 70 so I add 263oz of baking soda
Borates (this one confuses me)=4 target of 40 so I add 1187oz of borax and 566oz of muriatic acid? <---Do I ignore this?

Ignore the borates section.

When raising both the PH and the TA, you should adjust TA first to about 10 below your TA target level, wait for that to mix in, test the PH again, and adjust from there.

Is it normal for my SWCG panel to be that far off from the salt strip test? My SWCG is showing 2600 and the strip test was 3390. Just curious if I am always going to have the "add salt" warning on my system.

Usually the results are closer than that. But they almost never match exactly as both the SWG and the strips are bout +-400.

As a general rule, the salt level displayed by the SWG is usually more accurate than the test strip results. The only common exception is when the cell is failing the SWG will often read lower than the actual salt level. If your SWG is new, I would definitely believe it over the salt test strips.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have no idea how old the cell is. It came with the foreclosed house I bought. I took it out to see if it needed cleaning and it looked brand new inside. The readings are 2600ppm, 5.0 amps, and 20.8 volts. Someone said on here the other day that the current and voltage were a little low but I don't know what the norm is for it.

They pool company added 800lbs of salt and according to the PC that should raise the salt level to 3414 which is real close to the test strip. Does this mean my cell is on the brink?

There isn't enough information to be sure either. If the cell is failing you will be able to see the salt reading drifting down over the next couple of weeks. If the test strips are simply wrong, the SWGs salt reading will stay stable (once it has stabilized after the salt addition).

The readings on the cell will drift down 300-400 by the end of the day. I have no idea how this Polaris system works. It doesn't have a percentage setting like I see most people on here have on their system. Looks like you set the temp and the run time and its wide open the whole time its on, unless I am missing something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.