SWG problem

fangbaby

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Austin, TX
Long timer reader, first time poster. Thanks for all the info so far.

Converting to salt:
I thought my pool was 25K gallons or so, based on previous chemical effects
Aquacheck strip said 500 to start.
I added 15 40# bags.
Aquacheck strip said 4430!

That would make my pool 18.5K gallons. I must have done the test wrong, but hard to screw up a strip test like that.

Anywho...
Pool store says 3400, Cell says 2600.
I turn it on and diagnostics say 26.27V 6A 83F 2600PPM.
It then shuts itself off saying low-salt.

I had previously cleaned the cell using a water hose to get various chunks out and yesterday I did a 4:1 water/muratic acid soak.

This is a used cell I bought from a pool builder switching to some "natural" system. I also got the rest of my automation stuff from her at a very reasonable price. I don't think she sold me a busted cell, but it did sit on my deck for 6 months while I did other pool improvements.

I'm taking the cell into the pool store today to have it checked. Is there anything else I should do?
The rest of my chemistry is pretty good.
Ph 7.6
FC 9
CC 0
TA 95 (Thanks post-resurface pool guy!)
CYA 100 (Thanks post-resurface pool guy!)

I checked it this morning (about 12 hours after cleaning) and the salt level was about the same 2600-2700.
I watched as I turned it on, the salt level was initially around 3400 and fell quickly as the rest of the numbers changed as well. I tried setting the salt level via "instant salt" while it was high, to see if that would reset something, but no dice.

I've got it out now to take to the store after work.

The cell passed the store check. They tested my water again, this time 3900. I tested with aquacheck strips and got 4000, so that seems reasonable.

Plugged the cell in at home and it has now been running for 12 hours or so. Salt level says 3000, it seems doing the "instant salt" when I turned it on the day before at 3400 maybe helped a little.

Given murphys law it should be working fine, I stopped at the store and picked up 12x bleach jugs on the way home, expecting to have to sick with BBB for a little while longer :)

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.