worried installer used wrong piping for pump efficiency

Jun 15, 2011
Hi there..I just finished having an inground pool installed. It holds 16,240 gallons and we have a Hayward Super pump II (1hp) and a 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter (salt water pool). I've heard you should be able to turnover your pool water 3 times in a 24 hr period. The installer only used 1.25 inch diameter piping (just finding that out now..it's all finished). According to the pump manual, that will turnove 30 gallons per minute. So it will take 9 hrs to turnover the full pool. This means I'd have to run the pump non stop and still wouldn't achieve the 3 times per day turnover. I read on line the avg diameter used should be 1.5 - 2 inches. I'm not sure why he would have used 1.25 inches. I was trusting he knew what he was doing, but now I'm worried. Can you even change the piping after the fact? Am I going to lose pump efficiency or incur significantly higher electricity costs because he used smaller piping? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum :lol: mas985 is the hydraulics guru for this forum and will likely see this and be more specific than I can be.

Yes, 1.5 or 2" (at least on the suctions side) would be a little better but you are not so far out that you have a non-functional pool.

1.25" is pretty unusual. Are you sure it is that diameter throughout the entire installation....especially coming from the skimmers to the pump?

Hi Dave! Being new at all of this, I'm finding this site extremely helpful! Thanks for your quick reply :) I don't know exactly what to ask the installer. I was just trying to calculate how long the pump needed to run and was looking at my manual when I realized I needed to know the pipe diameter to get flow rate. The manual showed different rates depending on the "pipe" diameter. I basically relayed that exact info to the installer and he just replied with "it was 40 mm"..which shows as 1.25 inches in the manual. Is it possible to have the pipe from the main drain up be different from what you're seeing above the ground (eg. coming from the ground to the heater, skimmer, pump etc?) If so, should I ask him to change it? I'm just assuming the piping is under the pool concrete at this point and would be a lot of effort to change. Do you agree that the water needs to turnover 3 times a day? I've read anywhere from 1-3, but someone I trust did say 3 times. This would have been fine had he used a 1.5 or 2 inch pump as my manual shows a flow rate of 45 GPM or 80 GPM for each of those (so 6 hrs or 3 hrs to turnover pool once).

Interesting. In the Hayward Super II Pump manual (page 5 of 14) is shows a chart with maximum recommended system flow rate by pipe size. It has the pipe size 1.25 inches equal to 40mm. A pipe size of 1.5 inches shows 50 mm. Are you sure about the 40 mm = 1.5 inches. That would mean 6 hrs to turnover the water instead of 9 hrs. I still would have though a 2 inch would have been better, but would be happier with a 1.5 inch over 1.25 inch.

Thank you! Now that's 2 places that Hayward's manual is incorrect. My cartridge filter is model 4030, yet they don't show a manual for that code. I contacted them about that and they said it's the same as a 4025...yet they don't tell you that in the manual or anywhere else. Very confusing to the consumer! Thank you for your help. Can you confirm, should the water be turned over 2 or 3 times in a 24 hr period?

Welcome to TFP :wave:

A pool pump should be able to turn a pool over 2-3x/day, but in reality, actually doing so and running the pump 24x7 to do so is overkill. A good starting place for pump run time is 1 turn per day. In your case with a 17k gallon pool you can start at an 8hr run time and adjust from there :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.