Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello all!

Thanks to you all, my pool is the clearest i have ever seen! Today finally the FC came down to 8.5 with CC <0.5 and i measured the pH at 7.8-7.9.

My TA has shot up to 140 and I poured MA to bring the pH down to about 7.2-7.3.

FC 8.5
CC <0.5
TA 140
pH 7.8-7.9
CH 160
CYA 65
Temp 76F

My questions are:

1) How long do i have to wait to test the water after adding MA?
2) I run the pump at high for like ten minutes and then set the dolphin free to mix water. Is this an acceptable way to mix MA or chlorine or should the pump run constantly for some time after the additions? If yes then how long?
3) To bring down TA, do i have to areate to bring pH up again before the next addition of MA? Or can i keep the pH at around 7.2 till TA falls?
4) How do i areate in my pool/spa as i dont have any fountains, waterfalls, etc?
5) Can I start using calhypo to add CH (and chlorine) since mine is low?

Thanks in advance!

Let's see:

1) Generally one wants to wait at least an hour after adding chemicals before testing (CYA is the exception)
2) Running the pump on high for one hour should sufficiently mix the chemicals; brushing and/or using mechanized pool cleaners also helps
3) Have you read: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
4) You could point the return jet eyeballs toward the surface of the water or make a homemade PVC fountain: my-aerator-t7799.html
5) Yes, that should not be a problem, although other alternatives do exist for adding calcium; I suggest using the pool calculator to determine how much you should add

This should get you started, and I am sure others will be along to add to my comments. Good luck.

Well, lowering the TA was not so bad!

Got it down to 120 today in one shot!

FC 8
CC <0.5
TA 120
CH 180
pH 7.5
CYA 65
Temp 77F

Pool school says to ask the forum if you have lots of direct sunlight and aereation. I do have lots of sunlight to the pool and a fair amount of wind on the surface. Also the spa has two spills which spill water into the pool from the spa all the time the pump is on which is like 12 hours a day (scheduled to increase as soon as i determine the actual flow rate of the system).

What adjustments am I looking at?

Pool calculator says TA 80-120 so I am shooting for 100-110. Is this good?

Thanks!

The only thing you need to keep a close eye on is the pH. As it rises, just lower it back down and the TA will come down too. With a good bit of aeration you probably want your TA to be in the neighbor hood of 80 or so. Unless you're using trichlor in which case your CYA is already too high.

Thanks!

So i should not worry about the low CH? I was thinking of raising it a bit. Pool calc says 200-400 for CH.

I am not using dichlor or trichlor.... just liquid chlorine from home depot.

Hello again everyone!

Here I am again.... I have been trying to get my TA down a bit these days but it seems like it goes down to 110 and then climbs back up to 120 while I am waiting for the pH to rise with aereation.

Any ideas why the TA would like to rise?

Also checked the fill water CH... it came to 60!

FC 8
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 120
CYA 65
CH 180
Temp 77F

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suley said:
Hello again everyone!

Here I am again.... I have been trying to get my TA down a bit these days but it seems like it goes down to 110 and then climbs back up to 120 while I am waiting for the pH to rise with aereation.

Any ideas why the TA would like to rise?

Also checked the fill water CH... it came to 60!

FC 8
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 120
CYA 65
CH 180
Temp 77F

Thanks!
Static electricity on the tip of the R-009 reagent bottle.

Thanks for all the replies!

Richard320 said:
Static electricity on the tip of the R-009 reagent bottle.
Kidding or for real? :scratch:

So TA is at 100...hoping it wont rise... Here are the latest results:

FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 180
CYA 65
temp 82F

Now I am thinking of tackling the low CH by adding calcium chloride. Any ideas where to find it other than pool stores?

My fill water was tested and here are the results:

FC 1.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 120
CH 60

I am thinking of raising the CH to 250 to be on the low side of what pool calculator says. I will be adding borax soon also. what do you guys think about this step? Also, does CH just stay like CYA or does it increase or decrease due to any factors?

Thanks!

He's for real about the static affecting the R-0009. You can wipe the tip on a damp towel between drops to eliminate the problem.

Tractor Supply and other ag related places have Calcium. CH stays in the water. The only way it gets lowered is by splashout, backwash or leakage.

You're going to have to hunt for Calcium Increaser. Nobody out here needs it. And I wouldn't bother. Every time you add water, you're adding CH. Water evaporates, CH stays behind. And you do lose more to evaporation with a lot of aeration. You'll be well over 200 shortly.

Thanks!

Then i will just keep an eye on my CSI to make sure it is within range by having the correct pH... So on to the next step... Dont need Baking soda as I already have alkalinity in there.... on to Borax now.... target: 50 ppm!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.