Help plumbing Pentair FNS+ 48 filter... (Sightglass???)

rshady

May 27, 2011
I just received my new Pentair FNS+ 48 D.E. filter in the mail, along with the high-flow MPV and a 'sightglass kit'.

Problem is, this "sightglass" is basically a clear piece of plastic that has threads on one end, and a big hole at the other. I'm sure you veterans know exactly what I'm talking about, but that makes one of us. ;)

I've seen numerous sightglass before, but they were all small (maybe 1" diameter) and they screwed into the MPV, and they were closed (like a cup). This is closer to 2" diameter and wide open, if I screwed it into anything (which I don't even know where to put it, the MPV doesn't seem to have a place to screw it into) the water would just come rushing right out.

So, any ideas?

Some multi-port valves have a place where you screw in a sight glass like the one you have pictured. But for all the main valves that don't have that feature built in you need to use a section of transparent pipe on the backwash line instead.

Not sure how its going to work yet, I still have about 1 foot of pipe left to plumb (from pipe to filter), but what I did is put a 2" cap on the smooth end, got a 2" female thread to pipe adapter for the other end, and then glued that into a T in the waste line so I can unscrew the sightglass and replace or clean it easily, or even take it out completely and just screw a 2" cap in it's place... I'll let you know how it goes..

Thanks!

Here is a pic of what I ended up with (all new pipes except for the ones in/out of the heater)...

Hopefully this will work well.. ;) The sightglass simply unscrews and I can put a cap in there, or clean/replace it easily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.