SWG setting-first time

artd

Jun 7, 2008
new jersey
Plaster cured 30 days and ready for salt start up. All chems within range per recommendations for salt start up.

Question: I run the two speed pump on high 8am-12noon and low from 12noon until 12 midnight. Is this ok?

What percentage should the chlorinator be set at and I assume the salt ppm should be 3200 correct?

Does the swg run all the time or should I put it on a timer?

Should I place all 19 bags of salt in over a certain number of hours?

I will keep swg off and run pump on low for 24 hours prior to salt start up.

Thanks so much for any advice...

Start by getting a starting salt level. If you have a salt test you can use that, or install the SWG, turn it on and leave it for 24 hours so it can get a reading. The starting salt level might be high enough to affect how much salt you should add. Yes, target a salt level of 3200 to start with.

Once you know how much salt to add, you can just go ahead and dump it all in. Make sure that the pump runs on high for 24 hours after adding salt and that the SWG is turned off or set to zero percent for 24 hours after adding salt.

That is probably quite a bit more pump run time than you really need, but will be be fine for the SWG. You leave the SWG on all the time, but adjust it's percentage setting to control how much chlorine it produces.

It is difficult to guess what percentage setting your will need. Start at 50% and test the FC level each evening for the first while adjusting the percentage setting based on how the FC test results compare to your FC target level. It should only take a couple of days to get things basically in range and then you can fine tune more slowly from there.

What size pump do you have? A 1 HP pump is likely to need somewhere around 12 to 18 hours on low and no time on high (unless you have some water features or a pool cleaner that needs the pump you haven't mentioned). A larger pump will not need as much time. Low is the most efficient speed. You should only need high speed for vacuuming or special situations (like adding salt).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.