Dust storm dropped tons of dirt in the pool. How to clean?

Oct 31, 2007
Rancho Belago, CA
Hello all. I have been a pool owner for the past 2 years. I have a 25,000 gallon plaster pool (31x23x3-6) with 9' spa, 2HP pump, heater, 460 sq. ft cartridge pool filter, 1 skimmer, 2 drains, 3 returns ( + elevated jacuzzi ), Navigator Cleaner, and salt chlorinator.

I live in Southern California, and recently experienced a rare dust storm. It dumped what looks like a 1/4 inch of dirt in the entire pool (80-100mph gust removed the cover). I have been running the pump for 16hrs a day trying to get things back to normal, but after 3 days it still looks the same, except now all the dirt that was on the bottom is also circulating in the water. I have washed out the filters each day for the past 3 days with no positive effect. They collect some dirt, but the dirt appears to be to fine to collect neatly.

PH is 7.4, Cl is 7ppm (high), water temps @ 68-72F.

Is there something else I should be doing? I have not been down to my local pool store for advice yet, but I think sometimes they are less than truthful about the effectiveness of products they sell. Help.

Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track, but it would probably be best just to run the filter continuously and brush the pool a couple of times a day, or to vacuum s-l-o-w-l-y after the pump is off overnight. Your cartridge should catch the dirt if you either keep it in suspension by brushing or let it settle and vacuum.

crazycanuck said:
How about just letting all the dirt settle to the bottom by turning the pump off. And then vacumning the dirt collected on the bottom to waste.

Unfortunately, most cartridge filters don't have a waste setting.

I use Pool Buster Max with the silt and sand filter bag. It's amazing how much it picks up. After a heavy rain I get some sand particles from the 21' long weeping wall and it cleans all that up. I also use it instead of my Polaris cleaner most of the time. Saves running the booster pump too.

I'm also in So CA and had a TON of dust, leaves and dirt on the bottom after the Santa Ana's. We had to clean the cartridges each day after continuously running the filter and Navigator. We cleaned the pump and skimmer baskets several times a day. It took about 4-5 days, but now it's sparkling once again! Good luck! They say the winds are coming back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.