Taylor chlorine reagents

Jun 6, 2011
In my taylor K-2006 (Complete FAS-DPD chlorine) My free chlorine test reagents are
1. R-0870 DPD powder
2. R-0871 FAS - DPD tritrating reagent (chlorine)

For a 25ml water sample
The instructions call for 2 dippers of R-0870 powder (swirl, if free chlorine is present sample will turn pink)
then add R-0871 dropwise till color changes from pink to colorless.
then multiply the number of R-0871 drops used by 0.2

I have gotten reliable results using this kit as evidenced by crystal clear water.
I ran out of the R-0871 so went to my local pool stores to replace.
None of the three different stores in my area carried this reagent and furthermore none had even heard of it. They all showed me reagent for FC that were R-0001 and R-0002. The R-0002 is in the same brown bottle with yellow cap as my R-0871 and one pool store guy it must be the same thing.

I'm not so sure it is the same.
Does anyone know if R-0002 can be substituted for R-0871?
Why the different reagent #'s from the same company?

I'm really confused and would appreciate any help.
thanks.

They are not the same. Most pool stores don't like stocking the expensive R-0870 and R-0871.....mostly because I don't think they understand the need for them.

The reagents they showed you are for the DPD test which test only chlorine levels to 5ppm......not nearly what you need to manage your pool succesfully.

Stick with the R-0870 and R0871 but you'll have to get them online.

I ordered mine from TFTestkits.net

I once asked a guy at the pool store if they had the drop test kits, he points me to the strips. :hammer: No, I want a drop test kit... this is all we have.

they have some sort of reagent bottles, but I didn't see much else...? no idea what they're doing. DIY kit..?

Most of us test with the 10 ml sample and multiply drops by 0.5. That saves on reagent usage and gives you all the precision you really need.
thanks for that input... I often wondered if the 10ml sample was as accurate. I used it only when i knew the fc levels to be high.
I ordered my 0871 and another jar of 0870 from amazon, where I have an account, and trust their customer service.

I like working with TFT I had questions I was able to get a quick friendly and helpful reply!! I'll work with that kind of help and customer service anytime over some bigger outfit (Even if I do love Amazon for so many other things)!!

Thanks for the help the otherday Dave and Meg! received my package today!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Red Shirt Ensign said:
I like working with TFT I had questions I was able to get a quick friendly and helpful reply!! I'll work with that kind of help and customer service anytime over some bigger outfit (Even if I do love Amazon for so many other things)!!

Thanks for the help the other day Dave and Meg! received my package today!!

Not to mention that Dave also owns TFP, and although TFP relies on member donations to keep running and providing this great resource for pool owners, I will also continue to support TFtestkits.net. Their customer service is second to none :goodjob:

PS...Dave, please let me know when my commission check is in the mail :mrgreen:

OK... I'll take your word for it :wink:

Joking aside folks, I know there are other sites where you may be able to save an extra $ or two on reagents or perhaps get faster standard shipping to let's say the west coast, but even there TFTestkits uses priority mail. With the money TFP has saved me over the past 3 seasons by keeping me out of the pool store, I feel like I owe Dave, Meg, Jason and the TFP crew a commission check.

uhh...OK, never mind that crazy idea (sorry Dave)

For our newer members, you might find the attached thread an interesting read about our crew :goodjob:

waiting-for-warmer-weather-t27982.html

I had same problem, pool store doesn't stock R-0870 (DPD powder)...ordered it from duraleigh (although shipping cost is same amount as product :( ...guess it's because of Hawaii).

My question is...how do you clean the little dipper? It has turned black and no matter what cleaning substance I try, I can't get the black off and it seems to be accumulating...assuming that it causes amount of each dip to be different because it's not clean?

surfhawaii,

The actual amount of the powder doesn't need to be accurate at all. As long as the solution turns pink, that's enough.

If you still want to clean the dipper, sticking it in some diluted (3:1) muriatic acid will do the trick.

I have never tried this but I'll bet you could soak it overnight in household vinegar and it would clean it as well.

Lastly, yes, it's pretty pricey to ship to Hawaii.....wish it weren't so. :cry:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.