cartridge filter in unison with sand filter?

May 30, 2010
has any one tried running a small cartridge filter in line, after there sand filter, to kinda polish the water? i haven't been very happy with the results im getting from my sand filter. i have an old intex style cartridge filter (takes the B size cartridge) laying around that i was thinking of using just the filter part after the sand filter. any thoughts on this?

I've thought about that but I'd rather have a decent sized D.E. filter as the secondary. If I'm going to "polish" the water I might as well get the most out of it.

In your case, that 1hp pump is going to be way to much flow for that "B" filter.

Bama Rambler said:
I've thought about that but I'd rather have a decent sized D.E. filter as the secondary. If I'm going to "polish" the water I might as well get the most out of it.

In your case, that 1hp pump is going to be way to much flow for that "B" filter.

I ultimately will upgrade to a D.E filter but probably not till next season. The 1 hp pump was my main concern but i thought that putting it after the sand filter might help? i wasnt planning on leaving a filter in it all the time, just when the water looked like it needed it.

Melt In The Sun said:
Have you tried adding some DE to your sand filter?

Are you sure your water doesn't have any other problems? Some test results may shed some light.

my test numbers are:
fc 4.5
cc 0
ph 7.6
ta 160
ch 90
cya 40-42
i have not tried the DE in the sand filter trick yet, that is plan b if the cartridge filter doesn't work out (due too being talked out of it or trying it and failing)

my water looks ok i guess, I am just being picky. I just installed an aqualuminator and at night you can really see all the fine junk in the water!

Those Intex cartridge filters are really not very good to begin with, and not designed for the flow rates from your pump.

You will still see some stuff in the water at night with an underwater light even if you have a DE filter, though not as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.