Renting a House with a pool

nany

Jun 13, 2011
Hi everybody!!!! im new at this forum, Is very interesting to read a different perspective about a situation. Here is mine. I am a renter. My landlord is a very nice guy and my husband takes an excellent care of the pool. EVERYTHING was perfect until yesterday. The pool pump is getting old and one of the parts broke. Remember, is an OLD PUMP. We are very responsible and serious people. I think he wants to blame us for this situation. What can we do???? :|

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 131
Re: Renting My House (with pool)

Hi Nany,

It would probably be better for you to start your own thread since there are a number of questions that need to be asked and answered to help you that aren't really needed in this thread.

One thing I would say your situation does illustrate is the need for the rental agreement to specify who is responsible for the actual equipment repairs and replacement. If the pump was old when the property was rented, the agreement should specify that and who would be responsible for replacing it when/if it failed. There also has to be a way to determine the cause of the failure. If it is age, I say the landlord should replace it. If it is neglect or improper use, such as running the pump dry, then the tenant should be responsible.

Are you responsible for your water heater if it goes out..?

Just my opinion, but seriously. It shouldn't really be any different.

or, how about this... do you get to take it with you when you leave..? :tongue:

Thanks , Nicole , for your suggestion about a new thread.

Our rental agreement do not have any rule or statement about pool repair responsibility. FL Law, Section 83.51(1)(a)(b), F.S. (landlord responsibilities in FL) , are very general. BUT we were assuming that the pool pump is part of the appliances included in the house (as Speedo mentioned and compare with the water heater) We already paid for 5 different parts to repair and restore the pump. We don't have to do that but we did it. Anyway, we decided to send a letter to our Landlord clarifying this matter. I just can say this : we did an excellent job and we are planning to keep the good work in this house. But we are not going to buy any pool parts from now on.

Thanks for your response. is always good to know different perspectives...

You're welcome, Nany.

If you could give us the specs on your pool, it would help us make suggestions on how to help. It is best to put the information in your signature, that way we can see it each time you post.

It looks like you have a plaster pool. How many gallons is it and how do you chlorinate it? Bleach, pucks, SWCG?

If the pump is not running, you want to try and keep some CL in it to keep it from turning into a swamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.