Can someone please start me off right?

jj5000

Jun 14, 2011
Longview, TX
Installing 24ft above ground this Friday, June 17th. Hopefully by the 19th or 20th will be fillin her up. Heres what I have done. Read the pool school info twice and have ordered a one of the site recommended test kits (dont remember which one but it was abt 90 bucks after shipping) My pool will hold appx 17400 when filled (per dealer).

So, i guess I need to go ahead and buy my bleach, borax and baking soda. Can someon suggest how much to go ahead and stock?

Also, how do I get started? As soon as the pool has been filled start testing? Wait till the next day? I know this sounds so newb but a journey of a thousand miles..... :)

Im a little nervous because I have taken some precious vacation time next week to spend with the chilluns and am willing to do whatever you guys tell me to do.

THANKS

Welcome to TFP!
How much of each to buy depends on the water you'll be using to fill the pool. You may not need any borax or baking soda, but you certainly will need bleach! I'd start off with a few big bottles. You will also need stabilizer (CYA), which you can get at HD/Lowes/Walmart or at a pool store.

When you get your kit, post your test results!

Excellent advice from MITS :goodjob: Bleach and CYA are the basics you'll need to start off with.

FWIW, a 24ftx 52" (48" water depth) round pool with no deep end will only hold around 13-14K gals. Also you can test your fill water PH, TA and CH and we can help you decide if you'll need much muratic acid, borax...etc

If your buying a pool store package, they may be giving you most of the non-bleach items such as CYA, PH+ and TA+ etc... and a few things which are non-essential such as oxidizing shocks, phosfree, a bucket of tablets etc....

I made the mistake of prebuying a bunch of CYa and now Im sitting on more than I can actually use (even though the price was great from DTYdierct per a previous forum thread)
It came in handy since I'm personally on my 3rd pool install and fill in the last month ( I pray yours will go fine!!)

Actually, I would probably suggest that you follow your manufacturer's suggestions at least to the point of making sure that you do not do anything that might void your warantee.

It would, however, be a great idea to post your numbers, and what the manufacturers suggestions are, so that we may provide a sanity check, or perhaps minor adjustments or enhancements that would leave your warantee in tact.

When I had my AGP installed, I remember being SO excited and scared to death at the same time. I was confused by everything that I read in the manual but managed to get through the first season unscathed. It was the swamp the next year that brought me here... my point is, you are already ahead of the game by joining here and having your test kit on order. The people on TFP are so kind and willing to help... I think you will be one of the lucky few that have control of your pool from day one! Good luck and congratulations! :)

The only thing that might void your warranty is if you had a heater and neglected to have the calcium levels in range.

Test the fill water before you buy anything. The stupid warranties still often say FC of 1-3 ppm so if you need to call in for a repair for anything under warranty let the FC drop into that range for when they come out... JIC.

Speedo said:
I've been using about 3 jugs a week. (182oz/1.42gal)

Seems like a lot, compared to my pool... Perhaps you don't use a solar cover or have more swimmers? I'm about a jug and a half to two a week, when using 6%. The 12.5%- 4 gallons/cases last me about a month, $2.54 a gallon at the local pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow..thanks to this site, the internet is useful again. Never before had so many kind and genuine replies in any kind of forum. I feel bettr already. In regards to the # of gallons, I am keeping about 1/3 of the pool at 4ft and going to 7ft on the opposite end. Doughboy has a recommended design for diggin this....(maintaining a 4ft radius around the pool for the kids) and the dealer said if Im going to cut it that way that it is 17,400. Hope they are right. I will def post results. Thanks to all.

Frustrated Pool Mom is right about that...
I too have a heater and the CH range for my Heater asks for 200-400, and the FC is no higher than 3
(Rheem/Raypak 130K BTU Heater) My pool store requires a 1once per month bottle of water to test to validate my warranty. I took it up a couple of weeks ago (pretested of course and I had superb water according to my TF-100 results) and they were up in my grill saying my phosphates were way too hi (sell ya some phosfree), your CYA is too low (40) (Sell ya some stabilizer), and then he asked if I needed more chlorine pucks... and I said no I don't I'm using liquid chlorine... and he just stared at me for an extra second in disbelief and just said ..... OK...... and I told him I wouldn't be purchasing anything today thanks!!!

This forum does rock!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.