Easytouch controlling NG Heater

Robbo

May 30, 2010
Just North of Toronto
As per my sig below, I have an easytouch controller, a variable speed pump and a natural gas heater. I presently have set everything such that my pump only runs a 18 hours a day to save energy of course. I turn my heater on and off manually and when turning it on, i set my pump to run 24 hrs per day.

I want to know if I can change my heater setting such that it is always on while at the same time, I would still run my pump only 18 hours per day? I believe I could do this as I know that my NG heater has a flow sensor of some sort such that it will operate only when my pump is operating. However, I want to know if this is the proper/preferable method of setting my easy touch (i.e. can i possibly damage my heater etc?) or alternatively, should i really be running my pump 24/7 when my heater is on?

Thanks

I am a little confused based on your description. Why would you want the heater on for 24h if the pump is only running 18. I think you are trying to say that you would like to run the pump only 18h and would like the heater to only come on when the pump is on, which make sense because otherwise you would destroy the heater and your plumbing if it was running without cold water running through it. Do you have the heater controlled by the EasyTouch?

You should be able to set up the EasyTouch to control the heater. I believe it is set up so that the heater will only turn on when the main pump is activated at a specified speed. You might want to find out what the minimum flow rate is for your heater. But, the EasyTouch has a 2-wire terminal specifically set up to control a NG heater. This wire is attached to remote terminals inside the heater circuit board. BTW, which heater are you using? If it doesn't come with remote terminals, the wiring could be set up to activate the heater by bypassing the thermostat (but not the safety). An alternative would be to use a 24V relay activated by that circuit to control power to the heater. You could set the temp on the heater to a maximum reasonable temp (say 100F) with the power switch in the on position, and then allow the EasyTouch to control the heater. Of course, you will need to have the air and water temp probes mounted and wired properly for this all to work.

I just rceived my Easy Touch this week, so it isn't set up yet. However, reading the manual (not the best written instructions I might add) it seems to state that the heater will be turned on whenever the pump is on. OK...but I will have instances where I want to run the pump without the heater (rainy days, away for a few days, etc). Is there a method to control the heater semi-independently from the pump? (And maybe this will become clearer to me once I get the Easy Touch hooked up amd play with it!)

There are two ways to disable the heater. You can either set the desired pool temperature fairly low on the automation system, or most heaters can simply be turned off at the heater. The automation system replaces the thermostat, telling the heater when to come on, but if the heater is powered down, it won't come on regardless.

Hi I'm new here, have done lots of reading but haven't posted yet. I have a similar setup only I'm using a heat pump instead of NG. My POOL program (filtering only) is set to run at a specified speed and flow rate and the HEATER program is set to run at a different speed and flow rate. When the heater calls for heat, the pump ramps up from its normal setting to accommodate the heat pumps flow rate requirement, and when the temperature is reached the heater shuts off and the pumps slows back down to its normal filtering speed. The initial set up is a bit tricky, but once the assigned schedules and settings are programmed the fine tuning from there is easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.