UltraPure ozonator with burnt out bulbs

May 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I have an UltraPure ozonator with 5 year old UV lamps (the previous owner of the house said they never replaced them and the pool is 5 years old). They still light up (most of the time, sometimes they don't come on for some reason) but I would like to replace them with fresh ones as I read they become less efficient as they get older. Is this a DIY job? The housing doesn't look particularly easy to get into but I would hate to call someone out to change bulbs!! Advice?

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 151
Welcome to TFP!

Replacing the lamps is a DIY job, but I recommend simply not bothering. Ozone does little to improve an outdoor residential pool and it is simpler and less expensive to just ignore the ozone system.

Just finished replacing the bulbs... while it wasn't particularly complicated it is very obvious the unit was not designed for easy servicing. The AC line is connected to the circuits inside with a device that requires a screw driver to detach which makes it very awkward to unmount the device from the wall... to replace the bulbs you have to attach the new leads from the UV lights to the transformers with wire nuts. All in all it took about two hours to from start to finish for two bulbs!!

I'll report back in a few days once I see if it does anything for my FC readings...

Hi,
Just want to know if you can help me with my issue. I got Ultrapure I guess it is UPP25 that has two lamps on it, they both went bad I cut the wires before making a pic or taking any notes on wires, now after a few months I finally purchased two lamps that has 4 wires on each two white and two black and I have no clue where to connect them to, will you please help me on this if you know how to rewire them, I do really appreciate in advance..

I don't recall how they were wired in and don't have pictures. As you probably know its a pain to take apart so I can't take a new picture. Maybe google can help? Otherwise you could try taking a picture and post it here. There are quite a few people very knowledgeable in electronics on this board.

I other news I have had my ozonator disconnected for a full season now and I can see first hand what a big difference it made. I have been needing to shock the pool like crazy to keep it clean despite the chlorinator being turned up to the max and the pump running on a longer schedule than before.

Sounds like you are not maintaining your FC high enough for your (likely) skyrocketing CYA level if all you are using is tablets. You may have actually found you had the same problems even if the ozone was working if the CYA has finally built up to the point where there just is not enough FC.

I haven't measured CYA in a while... last reading was from last year and was 100 so I bet it is pretty high. That being said when the ozonator was connected (pump side) I had no issues keeping the pool clean even with < 1 FC.

Looks like I have some Pool School reading to do.

I got what I was looking for and got from Brain from Ultrapure water y "Repair And Service Manual "..Great guy and customer support he solved my problem I highly recommended him he is Brian Richardson National Service Manager, and Operations and Purchasing Manager..grea..thanks you to all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.