How much space needed above sand filter?

May 23, 2009
Enterprise, AL
I'm getting ready to plumb in my solar panels to my equipment pad and I'd LIKE to mount the controls and piping ABOVE the sand filter, on the brick wall of my house. I'm trying to save space and keep all the controls handy. It sticks out quite a ways, though (2" plumbing), and I'm afraid it will be in the way of servicing the sand filter when needed. So, how far above the filter should I mount it, or is this a bad idea?

It varies somewhat from model to model, but most sand filters only need a couple of inches vertical clearance to remove the cover, as long as there is room to move the cover off to the side in some direction. A filter with only a small opening on top needs some additional space, beyond that, to allow for adding and removing sand. And a filter with a top mounted valve also needs room to turn the valve handle and service the valve. That said, you never want things too crowded in together.

I'd do everything I could to keep it from over the top of the sand filter. Or at least as high as I possibly could. Imagine if you ever have to remove the lateral assembly. You'll need at least a couple of feet or more to get the sand out and the lateral assembly out. You'll also need about that much to get the sand back in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.