I'm very seriously considering self-contracting my pool build. I've spoken to several PB's in town and have not gotten what I would consider a very good response. Very high bids and a tough time getting return calls. I guess they have enough work that they can do this right now. I have a friend that is doing the same in town and has accumulated a list of subs by himself and is halfway through a build right now. He has an (approximate) 900 sq ft IG-Gunite shell in the ground with the rough plumb/electrical completed and only has about 12K into it so far. It took the subs about three days to accomplish all of this... He's looking for tile/coping and finishers right now. He's a bright guy with alot of local contacts.
I'm considering pulling the trigger on my build within the next month and taking my chances. The cost savings will be immense. Even if I have a few delays or screw up ordering some equipment or finish/tile, I'll still come out way ahead. I've done alot of research and understand the basics of the gunite shell with regard to bond beam/shell thickness/rebar/plumbing. It will the same shell that any PB in the area would build. I'll just have to accept the warranty. I work construction myself...just not pools...
My question is...how long can I leave the bare gunite shell in the ground without a proper finish and full of muddy/slimy water over the winter if I have delays getting it all tiled and finished/filled. Will the muddy water cause problems for the finishers when it comes time to clean it and apply the plaster (or pebble)? Can I fill the bare gunite shell with extra water to insure I don't have a pop-out issue if I do have delays? Can I add chlorine and/or other chemicals to keep the slime to a reasonable level without concern for the final finish adhering to the gunite?
I'm not counting on any huge delays, but because I'm doing this myself, the possiblility exists. The winter season in south Louisiana should not cause any real delays. We won't get any real freeze issues, just a little extra rain, so the water table is my only concern. If I get this going now, instead of in the spring/summer, I'm guessing I'll have an easier time scheduling the subs too...
I'm sure I'll be documenting the whole thing here and asking lots of questions.
Thanks for any responses. I'm getting anxious to get this going over the fall/winter so it's ready in the spring!