Pentair SAm Replacement Bulbs

Jun 13, 2011
One of my SAm lights have quit working with less than 50 hours of use and a pool service rep said the bulbs need to be replaced. Is this something a homeowner can do?

I haven't found any bulbs online, anyone know a part number?

You can find the SAm manual on the PentairPool.Com site and it describes the replacement of bulbs. It also lists the types of bulbs for your SAm light. As I recall, you will need 2 70W/12V halogen MR16 bulbs. These are not easy to find in the big box stores, but I was able to find some at a local Lightbulbs Etc store. You will also need a replacement gasket. You simply remove the top screw that attaches the ring and light fixture to the niche and pull the light out of the niche onto the deck (there should be enough free cord to allow you to do this). Then, you unscrew the ring that holds the light assembly against the gasket and lens. After removing the lens (be careful to not get water into the assembly), you have to remove some brass bolts that hold the lightwheel assembly, and then you replace the bulbs. It's pretty straightforward.

Be careful about putting the gasket back onto the light assembly and make sure to not over-tighten it. I have had serious trouble keeping my SAms from getting water inside. Maybe someone else can chime in here because the SAm instructions are not very specific on this issue.

Sounds familiar. I've had two new SAm lights flood within a few weeks after installation. That fact, coupled with the extremely short bulb life, has left a very bad taste in my mouth regarding the quality of Pentair products.

Thanks for your help.

Melt In The Sun said:
Flooding is an installation problem, not Pentair's fault.
Okay, perhaps you can elaborate on the proper installation then. I followed the manual and still I've had water get into the assembly twice. Are there special tricks? In both cases, new Pentair gaskets were used, so that was not the problem. I'd really like to know if anyone has the solution to this, as I'm about to discard my two SAm lights for an upgrade to Intellibrites, but that will cost about $1K to replace them.

Generally speaking, there are only two places it can leak: the front lens and where the wire enters the housing at the back. If you submerge the light but don't put it into the niche, you should be able to see where bubbles are coming from. If it's leaking very slowly it may take some patience, but it should work.

So, I replaced my SAm bulbs this weekend and both had some water buildup. When I replaced the one in the pool, I let it submerge as far as it could go (probably about 6' underwater). A few bubbles came up at first, but these were just trapped against the lens and the flange. For two minutes, I saw no bubbles released. Hopefully, this will remain this way. The spa light was also replaced, but I had emptied the spa water to the pool to change it, so I couldn't do the pressure test. This one seems to have already taken up some water, but that could have been an installation issue?

Typically the leak is very slow and usually takes a few weeks to see. This could be either a leak at the o-ring seal or at the rear. Just no telling at this point. Mind you, both SAms are filled with epoxy, so the only way water could enter from the rear would be if it were running through the wires. In any event, I certainly hope that the Intellibrites are better at leakage control than these SAm lights. I've been through a bunch of money on o-rings and my luck appears to be running low. I'm also a bit nervous about having 120V lights that leak. Mind you, the level of electrical leakage through a pinhole water leak would be marginal (considering that the conductance of water is related to its volume and path length). Still more reason to get some 12V fixtures into the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.