Pump Switch Electrical Capacity

sbn56

Jun 13, 2011
Needed to replace the two speed power switch on my Hayward two speed pump on a cartridge filter for an above ground pool - the pump is rated at 14.5 /3.3 amps IIRC, and spends 24/7 on the low speed setting. Could not easily find a SPDT switch rated for 20 amps that would fit under the motor switch cover, so I replaced the switch with a SPDT rated at 10 amps on 120 volts.

At the same time, I replaced the electrical cord running to this pump - former owner had used 75 feet of 16 gauge cord, I replaced that with 50 feet of 12 gauge and 8 feet of 14 gauge. the old cord woud actually get warm if the pump was run on the high setting for more than a few minutes.

Now, the pump seems to run much warmer on the low setting - almost too warm to touch. On high setting, the thermal switch cuts the motor out after about 2 minutes, then it resets after cooling a bit.

This is an AO Smith motor that is likely 8 or so years old - it has been trouble free for the 5 summers I have run it. since it is obviously running hotter than it has previously, could the lower-rated switch be a culprit? Obviously voltage issues are the most common reason for hot running motors, but I thought I had bypassed that when upsizing the feed line.

Happy to find this forum, and I appreciate the feedback!

Scott

cooling vents are clear, motor shaft spins easily, cartridge filter is running with almost no backpressure (2 psi on low, 8 psi in high) but the motor is still running very much warmer than last year - even on a 65 degree day it will only run on high for about 2 minutes before the hot cutout.

In the past 4 summers it would run for hours at a time on hi speed with no issues.

the only thing I have changed is the speed switch - there are two hot and one common wires connected to it - when I first reassembled it I must have mixed up the wires because neither position worked, so i swapped two and the motor ran. The switch does not get warm when the motor runs, neither does the power cord.

I suppose I should just be happy is runs OK on low - a new two speed motor is a lot of $$$, and I do so much like that 390 watts on low, even if it does run 24/7........

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.