High acid demand

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
I had this problem last year and I have it again this year. I have to add 14 oz per day of 29% MA to maintain a PH of 7.5. I usually test at 7:30 AM. The PH reading is 8, I then add 14 oz of acid and 1 hour later I test again and the PH is 7.5. The next morning it's back to 8. The only answer I have for this is that it has been windy. Could the dust blown dirt cause the PH to rise that much?
I drained the pool over the winter and acid washed it so I'm starting the season with fresh water.
Test results are:
FC 3 (I add about 24oz per day after the sun goes down)
PH 7.5 - 8
CYA 40 (I used pucks at first to raise the cya, now I use 10% liquid)
CH 330
TA 60
Temp 80*
Pool Volume 10500 gallons
Sand Filter

Thanks

Anything that creates water turbidity will lead to increases in pH. I don't think wind and rain get their share of blame for the problem because they are intermittent in most locales. I get lots of wind and have constantly rising pH, except in the deep part of winter. Wind definitely raises pH. Your sheer descent will contribute to the rise, as well. It's OK to use muriatic acid in consistent doses as long as you monitor it well and don't overshoot your target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.