Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid

I bought this product at Home Depot to use to lower the pH of my spa, which I had overdosed with sodium carbonate pH increaser. I was disappointed to find that the product label did not provide any of the critical information needed to estimate the dose needed to correct my spa pH. After reading this thread I set about to do a little research on muriatic acid to see if I could estimate the HCl concentration in the product. Here is what I did: I measured out 4 fluid ounces (118.4 cc) as precisely as I could and then weighed the contents on a precision scale with a result of 135.9 grams. These measurements give a density of 1.147 gm/cc. Per the hydrochloric acid table in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics aqueous HCl has a density of 1.147 gm/cc at a concentration of 29.6%. My second area of research was based on the product claim that it produces 90% less fumes than some other unspecified product. Presumably this relates to relative vapor pressures of the two products. I found vapor pressure data on Wikipedia for aqueous HCl concentration from 10% up to 38% (aqueous HCl can go as high as 40% concentration at sea level, but not higher because the vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure at that concentration). Muriatic acid is produced at a maximum concentration of 38% to keep fumes manageable and allow for use at higher elevations. The vapor pressure for 38% HCl is 28.3 KPa (.27 atmospheres). By interpolation I found the concentration corresponding to a vapor pressure 90% lower than this (or 2.83 KPa), and the result was 30.9%. So I conclude that the Klean Strip Green muriatic acid product has an HCl concentration in the range 29-31%.

The original question was, "For Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid sold by Home Depot, what is the concentration?"
I got here looking for a quick answer for the same question. I had to go one step further and wanted to share...
Most if not all chemicals for sale have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) required by the Fed and available online.
You can't always find the info you want on the MSDS, but in this case the answer is there: less than 30%.
In the drop-down menu for muriatic acid choose 29%.
From the Kleen-Strip Green MSDS:
Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} <30%
http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GKGM75006_SDS-903.pdf

I've been buying this at Walmart, as that is all they sell and it is significantly cheaper than the Home Depot MA. I was told 20% on here, and I saw the sheet that said less than 30%. I have used 20% as my benchmark, and it seems to be pretty close to the results my pool is giving me when I use it (i.e., it takes about 1.5 times the amount of acid in comparison the stronger stuff at HD to produce the same result, indicating it is about 2/3 the strength).

I've been buying this at Walmart, as that is all they sell and it is significantly cheaper than the Home Depot MA. I was told 20% on here, and I saw the sheet that said less than 30%. I have used 20% as my benchmark, and it seems to be pretty close to the results my pool is giving me when I use it (i.e., it takes about 1.5 times the amount of acid in comparison the stronger stuff at HD to produce the same result, indicating it is about 2/3 the strength).

hey Georgiapoolowner, from what I’m seeing in this thread, where I came for the same question, klean strip updated their MSDS indicating a new concentration of muriatic acid, increased from 20% to <30%.. the 2nd link is the new MSDS which indicates in the top right corner that it supersedes the previous document..

www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GKGM75006_KSG_Safer_Muriatic_Acid_MSDS.pdf

www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GKGM75006_SDS-903.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.