Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid

I don't know why they list that as a precautions as it seems like ordinary full strength MA to me. First use listed on the label is to lower the pH in swimming pools. All chlorine pools have some salt in them. Here is the MSDS, http://www.sherwin-williams.com/documen ... 857722123/.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by ccoager View Post
    I just wanted to verify that the Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid sold by Home Depot is 31.45% concentration. Does anyone know?
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... key=Search
    No, it is only 20%
    http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/do..._Acid_MSDS.pdf

3. Back To Top    #23

Speak of the devil on bumping this thread. I wonder if we can get the pool calculator to add 20% MA to the calculator? This Klean Strip is the stuff I get from Home Deepdough.

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by theal View Post
    I bought this product at Home Depot to use to lower the pH of my spa, which I had overdosed with sodium carbonate pH increaser. I was disappointed to find that the product label did not provide any of the critical information needed to estimate the dose needed to correct my spa pH. After reading this thread I set about to do a little research on muriatic acid to see if I could estimate the HCl concentration in the product. Here is what I did: I measured out 4 fluid ounces (118.4 cc) as precisely as I could and then weighed the contents on a precision scale with a result of 135.9 grams. These measurements give a density of 1.147 gm/cc. Per the hydrochloric acid table in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics aqueous HCl has a density of 1.147 gm/cc at a concentration of 29.6%. My second area of research was based on the product claim that it produces 90% less fumes than some other unspecified product. Presumably this relates to relative vapor pressures of the two products. I found vapor pressure data on Wikipedia for aqueous HCl concentration from 10% up to 38% (aqueous HCl can go as high as 40% concentration at sea level, but not higher because the vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure at that concentration). Muriatic acid is produced at a maximum concentration of 38% to keep fumes manageable and allow for use at higher elevations. The vapor pressure for 38% HCl is 28.3 KPa (.27 atmospheres). By interpolation I found the concentration corresponding to a vapor pressure 90% lower than this (or 2.83 KPa), and the result was 30.9%. So I conclude that the Klean Strip Green muriatic acid product has an HCl concentration in the range 29-31%.

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Luke View Post
    I bought this product at Home Depot to use to lower the pH of my spa,
    Chemistry class project to update an old thread?

According to the online SDS, the concentration is less than 30% but the actual strength is a big trade secret that will not be revealed. Ooooh!

http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/do...06_SDS-903.pdf
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

6. Back To Top    #26

The original question was, "For Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid sold by Home Depot, what is the concentration?"
    I got here looking for a quick answer for the same question. I had to go one step further and wanted to share...
    Most if not all chemicals for sale have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) required by the Fed and available online.
    You can't always find the info you want on the MSDS, but in this case the answer is there: less than 30%.
    In the drop-down menu for muriatic acid choose 29%.
    From the Kleen-Strip Green MSDS:
    Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} <30%
    http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/do...06_SDS-903.pdf
    Gunite pool, kidney-shaped, 16' x 32', ~20,000 gal? Taylor K-2006 test kit. Tagelus 24" dia. sand filter. A. O. Smith 3/4 HP single-speed pump motor (SQ1072) and Challenger 3/4 HP self-priming pump (CF-N1-3/4A). Raypak 266k BTU heater (model 266A). Kreepy Krauly vacuum. All is pretty old, yet serviceable. I'm new to pool ownership.

7. Back To Top    #27

I've been buying this at Walmart, as that is all they sell and it is significantly cheaper than the Home Depot MA. I was told 20% on here, and I saw the sheet that said less than 30%. I have used 20% as my benchmark, and it seems to be pretty close to the results my pool is giving me when I use it (i.e., it takes about 1.5 times the amount of acid in comparison the stronger stuff at HD to produce the same result, indicating it is about 2/3 the strength).
    20,000 gallon; Free form pebbletec finish; Hayward SP3202 VSP Tristar 1.85 HP; cartridge filter; SWCG - Hayward T Cell 15; K-2006C; gas heater.

8. Back To Top    #28

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPoolOwner View Post
    I've been buying this at Walmart, as that is all they sell and it is significantly cheaper than the Home Depot MA. I was told 20% on here, and I saw the sheet that said less than 30%. I have used 20% as my benchmark, and it seems to be pretty close to the results my pool is giving me when I use it (i.e., it takes about 1.5 times the amount of acid in comparison the stronger stuff at HD to produce the same result, indicating it is about 2/3 the strength).
    hey Georgiapoolowner, from what I’m seeing in this thread, where I came for the same question, klean strip updated their MSDS indicating a new concentration of muriatic acid, increased from 20% to <30%.. the 2nd link is the new MSDS which indicates in the top right corner that it supersedes the previous document..

www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GKGM75006_KSG_Safer_Muriatic_Acid_MSDS.pdf

www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GKGM75006_SDS-903.pdf

9. Back To Top    #29

On the kleen strip website it seems that it's 20% hydrochloric acid. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Isn't hydrochloric acid the same as MA?

IMG_0611.jpg
    Last edited by CrystalSun; 07-11-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added photo
    35K Gal. IG Fully Tiled Pool
    Taylor K2006 + Speedstir
    1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C7030 Cartridge Filter 725FT2

10. Back To Top    #30

20% is <30%, so both statements can be accurate. I think that is right based on my experience.

<30% could also mean 2%, by the way, but that's not my experience based on use.
    20,000 gallon; Free form pebbletec finish; Hayward SP3202 VSP Tristar 1.85 HP; cartridge filter; SWCG - Hayward T Cell 15; K-2006C; gas heater.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12