Low vacuum suction

Jun 3, 2011
Hello All!

I have an issue, when I put the vacuum in the pool, I have very low suction. This has just started the last couple of times that I vaccuumed. I have a new hose and skimmer plate and that didn't help, yesterday, I took the skimmer out and attached the plate down in the hole and the vacuum worked great! Of course, it got stuck and my hubby had a very hard time getting it out and said not to put it there again. I have good flow thru the retuns and the skimmer has good suction. I have checked to the pipe from the skimmer and pump the best I can by putting a garden hose in the pump line to see if there is any blockage, water comes back out the skimmer, have no leaks around the pump O-ring, and have tried to see if anything has clogged up the impeller(checked that with my fingers, didn't take apart). I have been vacuuming to waste trying to get rid of the dead algea. I am not sure of what my "clean" psi is because we have a new sand filter this year, it has been around 15-20 psi, when it gets higher 30 or I vacuum, I backwash for 2-3 minutes until the water is clear then I rinse for about 1 minute. Any ideas what I can do?

18 x 36 inground pool
Hayward S244t sand filter
3/4 hp pump
1 skimmer, 2 return jets

Water tests are all within levels

Vac worked great when you stuck the hose directly in the skimmer hole but when you use the plate over the skimmer, it doesn't. Could it be that the plate may not fit right and is not allowing a vacuum to form?

I don't think that is it, our old one worked fine, just replaced it. Any other ideas? I have checked everything that I can think of and replaced the hose and plate. Is it "safe" just to put the hose in the skimmer hole and vacuum like that? I have most of the big leaves out and am trying to get the dead algea. I'm just lost.

It sounds like your skimmer basket isn't seated in the skimmer as it should be. If it started with the old plate and hose and you've replaced them identically, then it has to be something in the skimmer and the baasket not being seated correctly will cause the plate not to seal correctly and you won't have nearly as much suction as you should.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.