cleer green looking water

Oct 31, 2007
Had a lot of ash in pool after fires in San Diego . Cleaned all debris from pool,filtered for 2 days now pool looks green. Have high chlorine levels(5ppm)and ph is around 7.5 any ideas to get pool back to blue

Sandjam,

Green normally means algae. There are some circumstances where a green tint occurs but it is a temporary condition and usually only lasts a few hours ( I think).

What is your CYA level? Is it possibly high enough to render your chlorine ineffective? That could result in algae and is my best guess as to your condition.

BTW, welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of responses here and your green issue will be sorted out pretty quickly.

sandjam said:
Had a lot of ash in pool after fires in San Diego . Cleaned all debris from pool,filtered for 2 days now pool looks green. Have high chlorine levels(5ppm)and ph is around 7.5 any ideas to get pool back to blue

5ppm is not a high chlorine level. Pool stores will lead you to believe that, but for many CYA levels it is too low, which is what Duraleigh is suspecting. If you suspect anything is wrong with the water, you should have your chlorine around 15ppm, or 25ppm for a gunite pool.

If you can get a full set of test numbers it would help us give you better advice. Owning a good quality test kit is the best approach, and well worth it, but pool store test numbers will be enough for us to have a much better idea what is going on.

Hi there...welcome to the forum :)

Like the others have mentioned, a full set of numbers would be helpful. Include Tc, FC, Ph, TA, CYA, metals others (read the stickies in my signature). If it's green, most times it will be algae! Getting a full set of numbers and treating with a chlorine (such as bleach) will clean up most green pools.

I hope all is ok with you and your family/friends,
dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.