avoiding algae while away on vacation

Jun 22, 2009
newnan ,GA
I wanna know any steps or precautions recommended to prevent pool trouble while away ! In the past i have gotten a house/pool sitter while away just to come back to both looking much worse than if i left them unattended ! i will be gone this time 7 days from july 1-8 my water is balanced w cya of 60 ! Should i buy one of those floating chlorinators for the week ??? pool pump/filter is on a timer and runs from 6:00 am til 7:00 pm daily ! any help,suggestions,or guidance welcome !

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
With your CYA at the current level I would not use any chlorine pucks. You don't want to raise your CYA.
My suggestion would be to raise your chlorine level to shock level for your CYA, or maybe a little higher, and then cover the pool. The cover will allow the chlorine to linger around longer and not burn off from the sun.
Hope this helps.
:cheers:

It is my understanding that your cya is not going to be depleted once it is in there. You don't need to keep adding more of that. Just keep your chlorine high to prevent the algae outbreaks.

I know i don't wanna get my cya too high but it is gradually depleted from adding water because of evaporation and the occasional backwash ! I have to add water atleast once a week because of evaporation. i only use bleach for my chlorine and 2lbs of bioguard burn out each week to shock it ! the pool cover sounds like a good idea but should i program the pump to run at all ? Or will it be ok covered for 1 week if i sting it w shock real good and cover it ???

It might be ok if you bring your pool to shock level and cover it with an opaque cover it may be ok. Is your pump on a timer?

There's no need in shocking your pool weekly. Is there a reason you're doing that?

Also, how are you getting your test results?

this is only my 2nd season on the BBB method i guess the weekly shock thing is a habit after 15 years of it ! along with not knowing any better! i have gotta invest in a good test kit ! i currently use a HTH deluxe kit to check chlorine, ph,and alkalinity! i had the pool store test it recently when getting some algacide ! i'm willing and eager to learn a better way! tell me what i need to know ,and where do you get that 10-1/2 percent @ ???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A good test kit is the first order of business. Order one from tftestkits.

Next is try to break the old habits. Shocking, adding algaecide, listening to the Pool Store, etc. I know old habits are hard to break but you can do it.

Once you get that new kit post a set of test results.

I went to England for 11 days and returned to a clear pool. I was going to use a floater, but didn't. I got everything balanced and clean, dumped in a bunch of chlorine to take it up to about 20, and had it covered with a solar cover. The pump stayed on it's usual timer setting. I set the valves so that the spa wasn't drawing, only filling, at a low rate. With the cover floating on the surface, the skimmer wouldn't get much, so I closed the diverter and got all (95% at least) the water drawing from the main drain. Came home to 3 ppm, which was just at minimum for my CYA. Poured in half a jug, unpacked the dirty clothes, and went to bed!

to jasonknox, i live in GA also more like west central GA we don't have pinch a penny i never saw 1 around here ! but i called my local ace and asked about the 10 1/2 % and they said they don't stock it but could order so i told him to check on it for me and then when i called back he said they couldn't get it !!! is it a ace brand product ??? thanks

If you come over this way to McDonough, our local Ace carries the HTH brand of 10%, it was on sale during Memorial day, 4 for $10.00.

You have gotten good advice, but remember we do not advocate 'dumping' bleach in your pool.
The amount of bleach/liquid chlorine to add to your pool is based on your CYA # and what you want to do, like shock or maintain.

We need to know the water test results so we can give you good info. :)

If your CYA is indeed 60, then your shock level is about 24FC.

You can compare recommended test kits in Pool School,
but most of us recommend the TF100 (sold by duraleigh, site owner) because it is the best bang for the buck and the service is A-1!

Here's more info for you: need-help-w-vacation-plan-t31116.html

stv4icp said:
to jasonknox, i live in GA also more like west central GA we don't have pinch a penny i never saw 1 around here ! but i called my local ace and asked about the 10 1/2 % and they said they don't stock it but could order so i told him to check on it for me and then when i called back he said they couldn't get it !!! is it a ace brand product ??? thanks

stv4icp

The Pinch-A-Penny I use is in Dothan Alabama. I live in a really rural area and the only competition for pool supplies is 45 minutes away, so I guess in an area like yours there may be to much competition for them to get into the business of selling pool supplies?

Our ACE sells chlorine because certain businesses use it, not for the pool specifically. I guess people who clean (pressure wash?) houses fill up big jugs in the back of their pick up trucks with it and take it to job sites. I don't really know what they use it for. Maybe you can call around and see who supplies these types of businesses with their chlorine and buy it from them?

OK I'm leaving in the morning ! i only have a regular pool cover no solar cover ! i'm gonna cover it with this but does the pump have to run what would likely happen if the pump is left off ???the water is crystal clear now !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.