Aquapure 1400, new cell not working well

Jun 13, 2011
I'm hoping someone can help with a recent problem. I have had little trouble with my SWG over the 3 years I have owned the pool but recently I got an error code and the service tech came and replaced the cell (under warranty, Whew!) Since that time I can barely keep chlorine in the pool. Its usually around .5 and thats running at 95% for 9 hours a day. It should be cranking out chlorine at that level. A tech came back out and checked the board with a voltmeter. He said everything checked out fine but after testing phospates he said that they were too high which was using up the chlorine as fast as it was produced. After researching on this board the whole phosphate game seems like a scam. My water has always been clear, no algae problems. I put 2L of Phosfree in (10,000 gal pool) and ran it for a week but there is no change in chlorine levels. It still wont top .5, Any ideas? I know if I get my phospates tested again ill be buying more phosfree. Should I get a second opinion from another tech instead?

Don't worry about the phosphates. We need a full set of test results and how you got them, to figure out what's going on.
How long was the unit down before they replaced the cell?
Were you adding chlorine manually while it was down?

I suspect you have an algae bloom and the swcg is producing just enough chlorine to keep it down but not kill it completely. You're most likely going to need to shock with liquid chlorine.

TC .4
FC .4
TA 83
TH 356
CYA 75
Salt 3100
PH 7.4

The pool store tested the water via their computer. I have had a couple of tests done lately and they were similar. I know very little about manually adding chlorine as this is my first pool and I have had the SWG the whole time. The last month or so I have added a puck of chlorine a couple of times when the chlorine approached zero. I shock it normally with the costco bags of chlorine shock. (usually weekly durning the summer) Any help is appreciated...

Also the old cell never stopped working it just had intermittent error codes but still produced chlorine, although not very well. The new cell made no difference but the error codes went away... It was replaced on 5/5.

Without a good test kit it's going to be hard to troubleshoot what's going on.
Do you have a test kit and what is it if so?

Can you get a water sample right at the outlet of the cell by opening a union, etc.?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.