help me please

Jun 12, 2011
i just filled my pool with creek water and the water is green...i shocked it 3 times and put my pool salt in it filtyers r running it is an above ground intex 12,000 gallon pool please help me!!!

Welcome to TFP :wave:

1) Take a read thorugh Pool School (button on upper right of this page)

2) Invest in a good test kit (tf100 from TFtestkits.net or taylor k2006)

You are not done shocking...shocking is a process, not a product...the process is decribed here
and requires quite a bit of chlorine and a good test kit :wink:

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Post up a full set of test results if you can and we'll try to get you going in the right direction.

Yes, this is how you will clean up creek water, pond water, algae, etc.

A SWG can maintain chlorine, but it is not able to produce chlorine fast enough to maintain a shock. You should use bleach/liquid chlorine for that.

Take a read thru Pool School - big white button, top right of each page.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yes, it is possible to use creek water to fill a pool and be successful. Don't add the arm & hammer tabs until you are sure you know everything that's in them and what they will add to your water. Every tab adds something besides chlorine, so it's important to know what you are adding before you use any of them.

Read through the entire pool school before you add anything else. After you've done that... find the section on how to shock your pool and get yourself one of the recommended test kits ordered.

You will need lots of bleach, a good test kit, and patience to start. You can't shock your pool with an swg, but once you've reached correct levels, you can maintain your chlorine levels with it.

Post a set of test results... even if from a local pool store... to get started and people here are good to guide you from there.

FC
CC
ph
TA
CH
CYA

thanks guys i will try it and let ya know tomorrow
It won't happen that fast. You will need to shock the pool with liquid chlorine (forget the tabs) and you will probably have to do this for several days to get your water clear. Plan on using a lot of bleach/liquid chlorine.

If you want your water to be crystal clear, purchase about 15 or more large jugs of clorox on your way back from the pool store and then read the article on how to shock your pool in Pool School. It has everything you need to know.

Just a side note, creek water is probably similar to our mountain rain/runoff unfiltered reservoir water that comes pre-algae'd (is that a word?). When we fill from scratch, the water turns green instantly at around 4". As I theorized last year, our source has algae already although not enough to compromise drinking quality (our tap water is good enough to bottle). Once the sun hits it, it's growing like crazy.

I'd assume creek water as similar and make sure you don't let it drop to minimum very long, especially when you add water. That'll be a trial and error sort of thing for you depending on how much water you add. Also, you will need to shock at the proper level (plus a bit maybe?) for your CYA level long enough to fully kill the algae you have now, and then you maintain FC daily according to the calculator, and wait. Patiently, while the filters do the rest of the job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.