Stained Concrete Coping and Sundek Questions

Apr 11, 2011
We are having a new pool built and have a couple of questions. We are going with a SWG and are considering stained concrete coping. We like the look, but we rarely see it used here in Houston. Most pools use flagstone coping, but we are reluctant because of so many discussions online about problems associated with flagstone and SWG. Can someone give us the pros and cons of the stained concrete vs. flagstone. Is stained concrete a bad choice for coping? Will the coping need expansion joints?

My second question regards the use of sundek covering. We are having a patio build along with the pool. Is it normal to have the sundek application under the patio or should I leave the area under the patio simply brushed concrete?

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Stamped concrete can look anywhere from really amazing to fairly bad, depending on the skill of the crew installing it. If they are a top concrete crew I would pick stamped concrete both for look and durability. But quality varies and I've seen stuff I would pay to tear out and do over rather than having to live with it. See if you can go look at other jobs done by the crew you are having do your pool and use that to help you make a decision.

We are under construction, and have decided to go with the Sundek, mainly due to budget constraints. As best as I can remember, it was about 4x as much. I think our footage was in the 780 range, 400 new, 380ish existing. We are having our existing topped with Sundek as well, just to have it match up.

If you decide to go with either product, I would think you would want it all to match, but that is purely a personal decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.