New pool proposal

a_fan

Jun 7, 2011
Any feedback would be appreciated:

16 x 32 rect vinyl liner
8' steps
Pentair 1 1/2 HP pump
Pentair sand filter w sand
Pentair 250,000 btu heater (I live in NW Ohio)
Solar cover w/ reel
Kreepy Krauler
Goldline salt system
Pentair Intellibrite LED light
2 skimmers/ 2 returns
Winter safety cover
$23,400

My suggestion would be to add a 3rd return. I have 2 now and wish I had a third down at the deeper end. I also agree with the 2nd skimmer but would suggest adding at least another return line. Helps move the water towards the skimmer.

Absolutely positively get at least a 2 speed pump. The low speed is much quieter and the added pump expense will be saved in just a few months.
We hardly ever use the 'high speed' on our 1 1/2 hp, only when we're running the spa jets or vacuuming.

Best of luck,
John

I have my own concrete guy, separate from the pool installation. Deck will not be put in until ground is fully settled.

What is the best pump for me, considering the previous post recommending a two speed?

a_fan said:
What is the best pump for me, considering the previous post recommending a two speed?

Hi A fan, the pool kit we bought included the standard Hayward 1 1/2 Hp, from what I read here on TFP I decided to upgrade to a 2 speed. The deal RoyalSwimmingpools.com had was to go from a Hayward single speed to an Astral 2 speed (also increased to 2" connections) for only $50 more. Astral is not a well known company like Pentair or Hayward but they are made by Speck, which is regarded as reputable. I am not an expert on which pumps will live longer than others but so far we are very pleased with this Astral.
I'll let some of the more experienced chime in with other brand references.

Hayward has an energy calculator, but Jason stated that their savings listed are a bit optimistic.

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/prod ... ulator.cfm

You would need to consider what automation you might need/want if you do go beyond a 2 speed to a variable speed.
There are some great threads around here on the options, but your proposed Goldline SWG automation should handle any 2 speed pump.

Best of luck, John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.