Where did all the Dichlor go?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
After running out of bleach while fighting an algae bloom at around midnight last night (Chlorine pump broke while I was out of town last week), I started my Saturday morning off by adding the last couple of pounds of dichlor shock I had on hand to raise the FC back up to shock level and add a little CYA (It had dropped to well below 20 for some reason) I began making the rounds of all the places in this town that sell pool supplies, looking for liquid stabilizer, di-chlor and / or chlorine reducer, etc. as there is a pool party scheduled for Sunday afternoon, Out of the 5 places open on Saturday morning, NONE had Dichlor shock/powder (one place had a dusty 50 pound tub of dichlor sticks), instead every place sold powdered Cal-Hypo shock in assorted brands. Out of the tour of shops only one sold Liquid Stabilizer, and as it turns out they were sold out, but will have more Tuesday which did not help me any, but that is another story. It seems just last year everyone offered dichlor, and cal-hypo was hard to find in this area, is this going on elsewhere, did cal-hypo get a lot cheaper, or dichlor get more expensive, or is the pool industry waking up to the problem overstabilization so often caused by the use of dichlor?

Ike

Something tells me that it probably is a supply issue more than anything. I too have noticed that dichlor is getting a little tougher to find. I like to use it early in the season sometimes. Lately, the only place that I have seen it regularly is at Costco. But it comes in a huge case that has more than I would use in a decade and to be honest, I didn't think that the price was all that great either.

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and aside from the trichlor tablets, the only other thing they had was cal-hypo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.