From a local, repsected pool dealers webpage...

chriscard25

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Q: How much is too much stabilizer?

A: A common myth in the pool industry claims that too much Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid, CYA) in pool water "locks-up" the free available chlorine residual. Chemically, this is not accurate. The free available chlorine residual kills microorganisms with CYA levels up to 500 ppm. Minimum CYA level is 30 - 40 ppm, acceptable is 30 - 200 ppm for residential pools.

Can I ask what your source is for this? British Columbia health authorities recently started testing for CYA as part of their inspections due to the problem of "chlorine lock". They close your pool if they find CYA over 80. Not a problem for me, since the only time I see CYA that high in anything is hot tubs using trichlor pucks, and usually by the time I reach 80 CYA it's due for a drain anyway (due to high TDS).

If you can handle some semi-advanced chemistry, you should take a look at this post, which explores the chlorine/CYA relationship. The sanitizing ability of chlorine can be maintained as the CYA level rises as long as you proportionately increase the chlorine level. Of course, at high CYA levels various side effects make that impractical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.