Pool Newbie....Is my pool OK?

3mar67

Jun 11, 2011
GTA Ontario, Canada
Hi, first time here, and first time pool owner.
Just bought a house which
was built in 1986. I'm sure the pool was built at the same time. I had guys from the local
pool place come out to measure for a new vinyl liner. I was at work when the workers showed up to remove the old liner, so I didn't get to speak with them. The giant 17x36 hole in the ground, which makes up the pool itself doesn't appear to be completely covered in concrete or plaster or any hard coating. Much of it appears to just be compacted sand or dirt from the excavation. Is this normal? The pool guys said they had no concerns about the pool when they removed the liner. The pool service place comes highly recommended and many pool owners in the area use them and have been happy. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

That is normal, and very common for a 1980s pool. There are two ways the floor is normally done, packed sand and pool crete (which is concrete with vermiculite mixed in). Packed sand was the most common approach in the 1980s. These days it is usually pool crete. Both approaches are just fine.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

That is normal, and very common for a 1980s pool. There are two ways the floor is normally done, packed sand and pool crete (which is concrete with vermiculite mixed in). Packed sand was the most common approach in the 1980s. These days it is usually pool crete. Both approaches are just fine.

Good to hear...THANKS

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.