Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Homemade "Leaf Filter"

1. Back To Top    #1

Homemade "Leaf Filter"

So we just finished construction of our pool. Winter is fast approaching here. We are surrounded by hundreds of trees. Leaves are falling like crazy. We have to keep our pool running for the next month as its new construction. I keep reading about clogged skimmers and pumps burning out. I really don't want that to happen.

I considered a leaf skim and a leaf cover but I had an idea. I created a filter for my skimmers. They are made of 1/2" PVC and four 90 degree elbows, pipe insullation, and netting. They fit flush against the pool wall snug in the skimmers. Sortof a vertical skimmer. Total cost ~$6. These plus my skimmer socks seem to work great. You still have to watch them as they still could restrict flow back to the pump with a ton of leaves but it is very unlikely.

Here is a pic of one removed. I hope its helpful to someone besides me.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    clever!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

cool, I love ingenious ways to do things yourself. Thanks for sharing.
    16x36 Inground Gunite
    25-30,000 gallons
    4' - 9' deep end
    Chlorine/Bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Good job.
    25,000 Gal chlorinated rubber painted pool. 175sf Hayward cartridge filter. 1 1/2 hp AO Smith pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. I created the "filter" out of pure necessity.....Reason? After the pool build.......I HAVE NO MORE MONEY!!!
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump