Convert pressure cleaner line to vacuume

moore101

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2008
Alta Loma, CA
Hi All, I just got a new MX-8 cleaner and it doesn't work very well with my Haward auto-vac plate (switches between vac and skim). My pool originally had a pressure cleaner that was in disrepair. There is a threaded 1.5" female pipe in the pool wall and it converts down to a 1" line at the equipment pad, not sure where the downsize to 1" is at.
Pool: 35k IG, equipment pad same plane as pool and 65' away.
Pool pump: Old Purex AH8 2HP (I think :twisted: ). Will upgrade to intelliflow 2-speed or VS maybe at the same time.

First question can I use this 1" line to run my pool vac? If yes (please say yes)...

I would like to use this line to run the MX-8 but the trick is, I would like to have the automation (added later) be able to switch between skim and vac.

So I will need another 3 way valve correct?

Here is a picture of the lines with the questions I have. Let me know if I should post any more info.
SuctionDetail-notes.jpg

Thanks pool gurus!

Hard to tell about the cleaner line. All depends on who installed it really. A Gunite pool company I worked for brought 1 1/2 all the way to under the pad and reduced to 1 inch for the Polaris cleaners at the underground 90. Another company went 1 inch all the way from the wall fitting. That inwall fitting you're looking at may be 1 1/2 inch at the wall but directly behind it may be the reducing bushing to 1 inch plumbing. Try having a peek in it to see. If it looks to be 1 1/2 as far as you can see, it may be worth digging down that old cleaner line to the 90. If it transitions here to 1 1/2 then all is gravy and I'd say yer in business. If it doesn't...I'd be giving up on the idea of using that line for a suction based cleaner. Even an above ground pool has a 1 1/4 inch line to power a suction cleaner that has virtually zero head nor length of run to deal with. You probably have both and that line would probably cavitate like the devil even without a cleaner hooked up.
If it does turn out to transition at that 90 and you go ahead, you'll need another Jandy 3 port valve. You'll actually need to put that valve below your existing one on the pool line side. Yes..you could put it where you suggest but you could run a risk of the valve not being 100 % and draining your spa. My way, you have two valve seals in the way, not one and you also reduce the chance of cavitation right in front of the pump. You'll have to automate the spa side too if you normally run with just a tad of spa suction and 50/50 returns to get an over flow into the pool ( assuming it's an overflow spa). If you normally run with it shut and only open when using it, you'll be fine without adding extra automation but can't use the cleaner at the same time as your spa.

Thanks scubapoolguy, I did dig down at the pad and the 90 and pipe is still 1". I shoved a garden hose in the 1 1/2" pool port and it only went in about 1' before hitting either the reducer or an elbow. Looks like I am going to need to switch to a pressure cleaner...

Now how to plumb for the pressure cleaner? From what I have read if I use the pool pump to run the pressure cleaner I should put a 3 way valve after the pump but before the filter is this correct? Basically where the gold pipe is in the extreme upper left. Can the automation valves be calibrated to only go so far each direction or is it all or nothing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.