Pool Pump just quit working

Jun 11, 2011
I have this sand filter and pump:
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-Fil ... B005076RUU
I bought it last summer and it work really well. I shut it down after the season, but let the pool sit and get algaed up.
I started filtering it out after killing the algae, but triple digits got the kids complaining they wanted to swim, well the pump ran then quit.
I drained the pool early this week, scrubbed it out and started filling it up yesterday. Today, there was enough water to turn the pump and filter back on and it ran for about 1/2 hour then quit.
I have an intex 18' by 48" circular quick set pool, running it with krystal clear saltwater generator.
Did I burn the motor out?

zea3 said:
Have you checked to see if you tripped a breaker? Also let it sit for a while and try it again, but make sure the filter is clean and there are no obstructions in the hose.
If I let the pump sit for a while, it will come back on. Then after 1/2 hr will shut off.
I just came in from pulling it apart. There was debris throughout the housing and I cleaned it out, washed off all the o rings and fittings. Pieced it back together and it is running again. Will watch to see if it goes off again.

Am wondering if the pump loses prime and if the motor housing gets hot, the pump shuts off for safety.

jdaniels said:
zea3 said:
Have you checked to see if you tripped a breaker? Also let it sit for a while and try it again, but make sure the filter is clean and there are no obstructions in the hose.
If I let the pump sit for a while, it will come back on. Then after 1/2 hr will shut off.
I just came in from pulling it apart. There was debris throughout the housing and I cleaned it out, washed off all the o rings and fittings. Pieced it back together and it is running again. Will watch to see if it goes off again.

Am wondering if the pump loses prime and if the motor housing gets hot, the pump shuts off for safety.
Ok, I've just searched online for similar pump motors via the serial number and there has been a few posts regarding motor shut down if the unit gets too hot. Ill have to pull the complete housing to check the integrity of the cooling fan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.