Loosing Pressure

Jun 11, 2011
Maud, Texas
I have a 1.5 HP pump for a sand filter. It looses pressure after filtering for awhile. If I backwash then go back to filtering, the pressure goes back up - for a while. We changed the sand (it was 5 yr old) and it seemed to help - for a while. Now, it loses pressure again. We dried everything off and watched for leaks, but could not find any. However, I do see air bubbles in the little tub when filtering. (Sorry, I do not know all the technical terms.)

If the "little tub" is the front part of the pump, then it sounds like you have a suction side air leak.

That means that somewhere between your pump and the skimmer, air is being sucked into your system. Starting with the skimmer and making sure it's not gulping air, you need to work your way back to the pump and check all the joints, etc for a place where the air is getting in.

I think this is like when you take your car in for repair and it stops doing whatever it was doing! It has not lost pressure all morning.... I guess it just had to 'recover' from changing the sand. I don't know if that's even possible, but I hope it lasts. I'm still going to check all that you said to, though. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.