TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Twice today, I've come in and seen that there were new posts, but when I clicked the view Posts Since Last Visit button, I got a message that there were no posts that met the criteria. I verified that there were new posts, and just for good measure I had cleared my cookies between occurrences.

RT, I think I know what's going on in your case. When it says that there are 31 new posts and then only shows 15 topics, it may just be that there have been multiple responses in some of those topics.

John, I'm not sure what the issue with yours is, unless you are using the AOL based browser which based on your e-mail address, is unlikely. Some ISP's have the same issue, although AOL is the worst. Typically clearing the cookies solves the problem so I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll see what I can do on my end.

Sean

SeanB said:
RT, I think I know what's going on in your case. When it says that there are 31 new posts and then only shows 15 topics, it may just be that there have been multiple responses in some of those topics.

John, I'm not sure what the issue with yours is, unless you are using the AOL based browser which based on your e-mail address, is unlikely. Some ISP's have the same issue, although AOL is the worst. Typically clearing the cookies solves the problem so I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll see what I can do on my end.

Sean

No big deal. It hasn't done it again since then. I just wanted to make sure you knew about it in case you had changed something that might have affected it. I'll let you know if it keeps happening.

Sean,

I need to resurrect this discussion. For the past week or so I've noticed changes in the board's behaviour when I open my bookmark. It's set to take me directly to the forum; my forum preferences were set ages ago to keep me logged in.

Now, it takes me to the front page and while my username and pw is displayed in the far upper right of the monitor, I have to click on login. Then it reopens the front page and shows my avatar, and tells me 'no new messages since last login'. Yet, when I look at the forum index page there are several new messages.

When I click on 'display new messages' it tells me there aren't any.

I've deleted all my TFP cookies and allowed the site to set new ones. No cigar.

I've gone in with two other browsers, Camino and Safari. No difference.

It's no big deal to force the home page to open first or to login, but not being able to have it compile new posts is sort of a PITA. What's up?

Sean,

I have a real computer. I don't run M$ products.

There follow a million smilies :)

I use a Mac and don't have IE installed. Since nobody else is having this problem I'm guessing it's at my end. Dangit! Here I was hoping it'd be something easy.

AnnaK said:
Sean,

I have a real computer. I don't run M$ products.

There follow a million smilies :)

I use a Mac and don't have IE installed. Since nobody else is having this problem I'm guessing it's at my end. Dangit! Here I was hoping it'd be something easy.

:lol:

I'm not a huge fan of MS in general, but since over 85% of computer users are running windows and using IE, it stands to reason that most 3rd party apps are going to be geared that way so sometimes the easiest fix is just to use IE, even if it's not fair competition. :?

Having said that, my next home computer will probably be an iMAC, although I'll still run windows as well. I also switch back and forth between Firefox and IE just to make sure the site works well on both browsers.

If you happen to figure out what the issue is, please post back in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

I fixed it, Sean.

I removed all my TFP cookies and emptied the cache. Then I reset the bookmark to the forum index link. I opened the page and logged on (to set a new cookie), then used that location as my new bookmark.

Then, to make sure the cookies refresh each session, I made a mouse shortcut for the key combination needed to refresh the cookie at the same time I reload the page.

That fixed it, and it's far easier than installing IE. And faster, safer, more configurable.

The iMacs are nice. I have a Mini and a Book with an external HD for backups and a stick for synchronizing.

So you're saying that over 85% of computer users are still in the digital dark ages????? :)

Actually, IE uses a lot of nonstandard things that were not in the W3 consortium. Gearing a website to use only IE extensions is asking for compatiblity problems down the road! I work for the State of Florida (my main job, not the second one in the poolstore) and their employee website does not allow any browsers except IE (and only very recently IE7--boy was THAT a scandal for all the puters that got upgraded to vista!) and Netscape. Netscape is being discontinued by AOL, I have a Mac at work so IE is NOT an option. Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Caminio do not work with this website! A prime example of someone coding a website using IE specific extensions and then wondering why there are problems down the road! (And we aren't even MENTIONING eComStation (OS/2), open source OSes or 'nix!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But they don't care because they have 85% of the market, willingly or screaming. I think the sophistication of computer users has risen enough over that past 10 years that many of them would prefer a system that's safer and more robust but they're captives.

You can make this site work well enough with a non-IE browser and having AdBlock as an addon in FF is a nice perk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.